VL Charging Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Charging Problem

'35 VLD runs fine but doesn't seem to be charging properly. Rider's Handbook says "about 4 amps with lights on or off."
    I'm getting about 2 amps with lights off, 6 amps with lights on.
    NO apparent change with higher RPM.
    Different settings of the 3rd brush has little if any effect.
    32E generator, solid state cut out relay.
    Any ideas?
    Last edited by frichie68; 10-07-2015, 08:33 PM.
    Rich Inmate #7084

Rich,
    Is your cut-out relay working? The relay's coil should pull in or close between 4-5V after starting and generator spinning. How's your battery (e.g. age, fluid level, loose connection(s), etc.)? I'm sure you probably know these things and that all battery plates should be covered water (if water is needed use only distilled water; not treated water with chlorine).
    William
    Last edited by wideglide38; 10-08-2015, 05:39 AM.
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Hi Rich. I tried solid state but went back to the conventional coil relay on my VD. At least you can see if it's working. I did run testing on my amp meter with the lights on and kept adjusting down until the amp meter read around 1/2 amp charge at about 70 to 80 kph. I get about 2 amps charge at this speed with the lights off. I have weekend runs of 300 - 400 kms and return with approximately the same charge in the battery as I left with. If I strike a lot of stop start and low speed traffic l lose a little charge in the battery. Before I wound it back to this level I was cooking batteries. I know the riders handbook says to set the charge rate at 4 amps but I use sealed lead acid batteries and I don't think they have the same heavy construction as the 1935 batteries and the lead acids that are available here now all seem to leak. Phill

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        I no longer ride at night, don't usually run with lights on- How many amps does it take to blow light bulbs?
        Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Dear Rich, if you're blowing light bulbs it could be a grounding problem, about which Harley sent out a Shop Dope in 1935. The new white ammeter is upside down compared to the bar and shield style, so is grounded through the right terminal post instead of the left. Harley also advised to make sure by running an extra ground wire to the frame rather than relying on the dash grounding through the forks.

Comment

Working...
          X