Do i pull the trigger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do i pull the trigger?

Hey guys, new member here and young so i don't know too much about old bikes. I've got a chance at a 45" motor, it has a carb, no magneto, no shaft sticking out, i put my finger into the case and felt a keyway, don't know if that means it has a flywheel or not, there are no pushrods present, not sure whether or not there's pistons/rods. Anyway, just looking to see if this may be a decent deal or not, looking to see if this is a good platform to start with for the price, or if i should keep looking further. It's up on a shelf, haven't gotten to inspect it yet, just gazed at it at a local party this eve. Price is $450. Thanks in advance for any help! photo image_1.jpg
    Attached Files

Welcome aboard Onlybackroads!
    Sound like a very good deal to me. Check VIN 'boss' for alterations and consistent font style. Check cases for cracks/welds and for matching line bore (belly) numbers. Flywheels, cranks, pinion & motor sprocket shafts, connecting rods & wrist pins, pistons & rings are plentiful on ebay and through quality vendors. What would make is great deal if the motor comes with a clear title!! Having a clear title will make registering a future build a lot easier. If the seller only offers a "notarized bill of sale"; check the VIN number with your DMV office before buying. Ask DMV to run a check in the local/national data bases. If it comes back clear, I'd suggest get a title in hand before building out the motor.
    Best of luck!!
    William
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

The motor looks to be a WW2 WLA model. It has no flywheels, rods, or shafts. Depending on what you are looking to do with it, it might be worth buying. It's a poor place to start if you are looking to build a bike from scratch,
      it's way too easy to get too much invested in a project like this. Titles on war surplus motors are a whole different bag of snakes.
      VPH-D

Comment

Downloaded the photo from photobucket, zoomed in and the VIN looks like 48WL.

Comment

You are correct wideglide, i have another picture i took closeup of the serial and it starts with "48WL...."

Comment

And unfortunately no, there is no title.

Comment

Buy it! It is worth more than the asking price in parts alone. If you don't buy it I will. Where is it?
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I agree with Robbie. The air cleaner and carb are worth almost the asking price. Is there a cam cover and cams, if so that should certainly seal the deal. Titles can be had.
                Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Buy... the parts are worth far more than the asking.

You can build a bike around these... or use the parts to help other bikes live. Regardless, get them 'in hand' and you will be fine, financially. Then let passion decide whether to turn these into a bike or some funds to buy another bike/motor/project... etc.

No brainer here. The jugs alone are worth the asking. From there, decide whether to use these parts to build a bike... or whether to use the $$ these parts will bring to get a project bike. Either way, you win. Get them in hand. Go from there. Plenty of folks will want them.

Awesome find. Welcome aboard!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Okay thanks for all the replies guys! With the overall consensus, paired with my gut, i'm gonna grab it while i can. I've wanted a harley for a bit now, and i'm most interested in the flatheads. This thing just fell in my lap at a party so i think it's meant to be.

Comment

You'll be glad you did pick it up!

Comment

Working...
                      X