45" tappets and blocks removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45" tappets and blocks removal?

Hi guys, trying to get good tappets/blocks out of a bad wla right case... is there a special tool I'm missing? Got the screws out of the top of the blocks and they look like they should slide out. Don't want to do any damage to them. Do the tappets have to be out of the blocks for the blocks to come out? I'm sure it's something simple that I'm missing. Any help is appreciated! Thanks, mike

Mike,
    V-Twin has several tools to aid in tappet removal. p/n 16-1735 ('30-'73 45" SV & '30-'40 B/T SV) and 16-1787 '41-'48 B/T SV).
    William
    Attached Files
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

Thanks william! Just ordered it

Comment

AMCA member Steve White at Vintage Motorcycles Northwest has made a simplified tappet puller tool for much less money. He's on 253.846.2775.

Comment

Hi Mike. Just so you know, the tappets, cams, and cam cover will need to be installed in order for the tool to pull the guides.
          Ride 'em. Don't hide 'em.
          Dan #6938 FUBO

Comment

Thanks dan, yeah once I saw the tool I figured at least the cams and tappets would have to be in place so the tappets wouldn't press into the bushings, but didn't know the cover in place was necessary... now I see it would make sense to lock the cams in. Thanks for the info! -mike

Comment

So, does the barrel shaped tool screw on to where the valve covers screwed onto? Then the bolt pushes on the tappet pulling up the tappet block? The tappet pushes against the cam which is in the case for strength/stability? Sound right?
              I've got some stubborn blocks and looking around to see what I can use to get it done.

Comment

Mike!

A slap-hammer works when theres no cams to push on.

.....Cotten
                Attached Files
                AMCA #776
                Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Punted. Ordered one online for $26 shipped.
                  Measured my runout at the end of the pinion shaft. .006. Ouch! Military manual says set to .001. I like the military manual description. Hit it with a lead or copper hammer to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                  X