VLD oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLD oil

I am trying to get a correct answer on how much oil should be in the cases on a VL when running . I don't think all hand pumps push out exactly the same amount of oil with each stroke of the pump . At 3 1/2 pumps , my '34 VLD drains out ( without running the engine ) at 4.5 oz. After 3 1/2 pumps and riding it about 45 miles it drains out at just a little over 4 oz. I have read the thread from 11 /12 and really didn't come up with just how much should be in the cases wile running . Thanks for your help . Mike

Try removing the oil feed line and hand pump oil into a measuring cup, to determine how much your pump injects. I've always read 8 ozs. should be in the motor.
    William
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Comment

3 hand pumps usually ends up about 5 or 6 ounces, say 150 ml, not much to keep an engine lubricated. Over about 8 or 9 ounces and it starts coming out of the valve covers, generator and breather pipe. Oil is cheaper than engine rebuilds, so I'm relaxed about the oil building up slowly over a long ride then draining it at the end of the day. It seems like your bike is OK as is.

Comment

Working...
      X