VL connecting rod piston pin bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL connecting rod piston pin bushings

I have what I thought to be VL rods with SA 706D and SA 705D forging numbers. Piston pin bushings I bought are correct interior diameter for piston pins, however exterior bushing diameter is larger then hole in top of connecting rods. Does the exterior diameter of these bushings have to be machined down to fit inside the holes in the rods. Thanks.

I just went out in shop and measured bushing and hole it gones into at top of rod. Outside diameter of bushing is 1.004" and hole it presses into on rod is 0.888". Bushing is approx 0.116" larger in diameter then hole in connecting rod.

Comment

From Steve Slocombe's book;

"As for the connecting rods, on the V series it is the front one that is forked which was Harley-Davidson Big Twin practice until the 1939 model year. The front rod (part 285-30) carries casting number SA 705 while the plain rear rod (part 286-30) has the casting number SA 706. Letters can be found after the casting numbers but can be ignored in terms of interchangeability. Most rods take the 1" diameter piston pin bushings, but some of 57/64" are found..."

57/64 = 0.890 inches.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Yup the 1936 VL rods take the small bushings for lighter weight and extra performance (!). Harley later said in Shop Dopes that these rods could be considered interchangeable with the other VL rods.

Comment

So I guess I have 1936 rods. Do you turn the outside diameter of bushing down or is there a bushing made to fit this rod? Would I be better off buying another set of rods?

Comment

There is a bushing 293-36 made for this rod, and less expensive too because of less bronze in it.

Comment

Working...
            X