Linkert M41 vs M41L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linkert M41 vs M41L

I have a '36 VLH and it has the Indian carb M344 on it right now. The bike runs decent enough with it though. With the swap meets coming up soon I'd like to find an M41L. Yeah, I know they can be hard to find and most likely... expensive. So.... if I can't find a M41L, my question is, how would a M41 run on the VLH? Better than the M344? or about the same?

I was also "wondering" if I did manage to find a M41L BODY that needs rebuilding, how are parts to get for it? Available? or are they like hens teeth (hard to find)?
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Jim!

The difference would basically be a larger venturi, other than cosmetics (such as "flash" nickel on the body, and bright nickel on most of the small hardware, whereas some later M41s were silver lacquer with a mix of hardware, and a different script on the body casting).
    Frankly, a Bonne venturi and a H-D flatty nozzle in your M344 would be the same.

Correct bowls are scarce but not rare, yet nearly any Linkert sidebowl will run. The rest is reproduced, although of greatly varied quality.

....Cotten
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 03-30-2015, 04:58 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

I have an M41L body. PM me for pictures if you are interested.
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Dear Jim, apart from going from the 1 1/16" to the 1 1/8" venturi, Harley also seem to have taken out the fuel inlet valve from 1/8" to 9/64" on the M41L. The number 42, 55 and 70 drill sizes on the low speed side remain the same on both models.

Comment

Steve!

You don't really attack anything with drill bits do you?

.....Cotten
          AMCA #776

Comment

Thanks Guys for the tech info!!!

Thanks Rubone! I will contact you. YOUR INBOX IS FULL and I got this message: Rubone has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

Aren't drill bits just used for measuring? In other words... the area without the twist. The part that goes into the drill is used as the measurement part. At least, that is what I always thought...
            Last edited by Jim; 03-31-2015, 09:06 AM.
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

You are right Jim,

They are best only for measuring, but because of the 'field repair' drill set, I fear some folks believe otherwise.
              One ebay outfit was even reproducing the kit.

I have encountered at least one carb where the lowspeed seat was mauled so badly that it would bend the needle tip.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776

Comment

Sorry Jim, inbox cleared out now...
                Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Originally posted by Rubone View Post
                  Sorry Jim, inbox cleared out now...
                  Message sent! Thanks!
                  Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                  X