No announcement yet.

37 ULH Carb/Throttle Mismatch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Manual is the repop of the factory 1937-1948 and yes my throttle assembly is different, no roller or pin as can be seen in the image i posted. Just my luck to have an oddball. Yes, my carb is M51 with the 1 1/8 venturi tube. When i sent the carb to Kevin a Rust Never Sleeps he noted it had the wrong venturi tube and put the correct one in. I guess i'll just fool with what i have and see how good i can get it. Sounds like plan B would be a more common year/style handlebar and throttle assembly. My bike has a repop ('38-39 style, V-Twin) frame so it will never be show 'worthy' ( a 'box of parts' as someone described it,,i was sooo offended,,,not really!)so a few deviations aren't a horrible thing to me. The bike has a vast majority of the 'right' parts but is a rider/bobber will never be in a show. Rode it 2K miles last year and hope for more this.

Comment

"As noted before, the spool on the end of the outer cable must be locked solidly in the bars by the set screw" I've been looking and can not find the set screw you mention,,,a hint?
      Thanks everyone for their help.
      bob wark

Comment

Progress! After removing the switch housing i found the hidden grub screw which secures the spool that the outer cable is secured to,,,,,and hence the grub screw holds firm in the 'bar. My cable seems to be a very tight fit within the spool, in fact so far i can't seem to get it in there, maybe chilled cable and heated spool? Do these two parts normally fit together so tight that they need no mechanical affixing? Wondered if i might (carefully solder the spool to the outer. I believe before i just pulled this apart that the cable was loose in the end of bar and not withing the spool. Thanks again everyone, i do dearly love this bike and riding it is pure joy for me.

Comment

Joy! Success! My cable had escaped from the spool which holds in in place. Reassembled (properly,,,i think!) and lubed my throttle feels great and works great, full travel or darn near. A test ride can't be too far away,,,unless it snows as much as they say it might tonite!!!

Comment

Should the spool be soldered to the cable casing?

Comment

I understand many do solder, i used blue loctite and let it cure before assembly, i'm hoping that will hold it. It is kind of amazing those things can unscrew themselves. My guess is that this was improperly assembled from square one.It is a thrill to finally fully understand how this assembly goes together!

Comment

Working...
              X