VL gas tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL gas tanks

How are tank parts welded together? Fusion, Brazed, or Lead Soldered.

I just finished putting mine together and have been riding it some. The other evening I noticed oil dripping of the front lower mounting bolt. The one that holds the two tanks together. When I had put the bolt and spacer in a few weeks ago I experienced some resistance as the spacer seamed to be just a little long and I had to work to get it in. This may have put some pressure on the lower mounting tab. Anyway I now have a drip from this area. I'm thinking in advance as to how I want to fix it. If the tanks are Fusion welded I can do almost anything I want. If they are lead soldered I may have a problem. I have not taken the tank off yet.

VL tanks are lead soldered.

The lower mounting tabs are actually soldered on to the corner of the tank so putting a strain on the tab/brackets may have damaged the joint underneath, It should be a relatively simple fix with solder. Be careful if you need to remove the tab to carry out the repair as it could have a small screw holding it in place that is hidden by the solder.

Good Luck .

Pete Reeves #860

Comment

Thanks Pete
      That's the information I needed.

Herman

Comment

Working...
      X