Hand Oil Pump Check Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Oil Pump Check Valve

Hi, I am just wondering if anyone knows what the original finish would have been on the Hand Oil Pump Check Valve for a 1932 RL? Part number 3551-27

Any information on this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

All of the original ones that I have are nickel plated.
    Mark
    Mark Masa
    www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Thank You for the info.

Comment

I'd say flat nickel on the early ones, then cadmium.

Comment

Steve is probably right regarding the Cad on later ones. All of mine came out of 1929 and earlier JD tanks.
          Mark
          Mark Masa
          www.linkcycles.com

Comment

Do you figure the 1932 would have already been cad or still nickel?

Comment

Dear Andy, Harley seemed to change from flat nickel to cad on a lot of plating around the time the VL was introduced, but you can be sure it wasn't a step change. By the late 1930s they phased out cadmium for parkerized on many parts, but I've still seen a box of military 3532-18 tank top screws with mixed cad and park items. The military bags of 0105 nuts contain 3 types, cad plated with a washer face, brass with a washer face, and plain brass. You also see plain head and CP head bolts in nos bags from WW2. After all that preamble, I'd say your part was cad by 1932. What does Johnny Sells' book say?

Comment

Johnny Sells book doesn't talk about finish on this particular part. I will put it in the cad plating box of items to get done. Thanks for all the info.

Comment

I thought the hand pump check valve which is seen from below the tank was pot metal. If so would that take a finish?

Comment

Working...
                  X