VL Frame Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Frame Repair

Needing some expert advice on a frame issue I have just below the cast iron neck of my '33 VL frame. As you can see in the pictures, as the frame is stepped down to a smaller diameter down tube, the middle step has been swelled and appears to have cracked. I can't figure out how this could have water in it since I found it creek side in the sand but standing nearly strait up. Had a younger guy tell me this is from internal rust trying to find a way out. Any ideas on what could have caused this and what is the best way to address this issue? Has this affected the integrity of the frame? If I need to fix it, I want it fixed right by somebody who will understand the brazing practices used in building the frame. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
    frame1.jpgframe2.jpgframe3.jpgframe4.jpg

Unless it really screws with your head? I wouldn't touch it. The reinforcement at that point is such over kill but if you must? Chop the bitch out and tig in a new piece and be done with it. In fact you could tig all the joints and blend the welds to the point that no one would ever know it was touched. It all depends on how much you want to put into the repair. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Thanks, Bob. I really don't want to touch it unless I have to. Right now I'm assembling the bike as is, so if the integrity of the frame has not been sacrificed I'd prefer to leave as is. Someday when I have every single part on the bike I will disassemble and paint like new, but for now it will be an original rider. I saw the machining work you were doing on the early Harley in this forum and can appreciate your knowledge and skills with machining and refurbishing these kinds of projects. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Working...
      X