VL or JD Transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL or JD Transmission

On my 32 VL restoration I have gotten around to the transmission. It appeared to be low on oil as I could not see any in the fill plug opening. So I added enough for it to be seen. 24 hours later I noticed a small puddle of oil on the floor from two locations one dripping off one of the mounting bolts and the other from input output shafts. I removed the transmission and noticed a small hole in which the oil was dripping out. As seen in the first photo (Circled in Red). I drained all the oil out in a pan to measure the volume and its close to 16 OZ.

In the first photo is this hole is an overflow???
    And in the second picture is circled in red what I guess is the vent.
    What is the correct volume of Oil.
    TransmissionB.jpgTransmissionA.jpg
    Thanks
    Herman

Dear Herman, that looks like a 1928/9 JD transmission with a VL clutch. The gearbox adjuster screw is in a different place relative to the frame. The first hole is a water drain from the kicker end, which is normally about half full of grease. The second hole is to drive out the 2248-15 sliding gear fork shaft during overhaul. If you haven't stripped the box then now is the time. The oil was originally held in by brass metal-to-metal seals each side of the mainshaft, but many people now fit sealed ball bearings. The Riders Handbook tells us the oil level is to the bottom of the filler neck.

Comment

Thanks Steve
      I was hoping that I would not have to tear into the transmission. But It sounds like I best. I did not find very much info in your book on the internals for the transmission. I doubt that there is too much difference between it and the one in my panhead aside from the shifter arrangement.

Comment

I guess I have the older 28/29 JD trans in my '36 VLH... and I always wondered why the adjustment bolt didn't line up!! 8^) You can find the transmission "REBUILD" section at the BACK of Steve's book. I have a slightly older book, but it starts on page 192 in APPENDIX C TRANSMISSION STRIP AND REBUILD. This isn't to be confused with the Chapter 13 "Transmission" section on page 89 (mine is the older book, so your page numbers may not be exactly the same as mine) My '36 originally had the 4 speed trans in it, but that is long gone...
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Well I might be in big trouble with this transmission.
          All the bearing are shot. The Counter shaft gears and bearing are the worst.
          The main shaft and the Clutch Drive Disk Key way is beyond my repairs and the taper is bad.
          The Slider Gears are shot as well. The Main Drive gear is Ok but the bearing races are showing signs of early pitting and flaking.
          100_7435.jpg100_7432.jpg

Comment

That's bad news, wish I could help but will keep watching and learning.
            Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Yup, the gears and shafts are shot in that box, and it looks like you have the JD starter gears which will struggle to work with the later side cover. I usually rebuild VL boxes with all new parts inside the original case. The main drive gear is the only part not being reproduced. I have a 1932-35 gearbox rebuilt on a budget, with new cluster gear and countershaft and good used parts elsewhere. It's the 61st gearbox we've rebuilt, being 46 3-speeds, 8 four speeds and seven reverses. That was a commercial break for www.vlheaven.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
                ... It's the 61st gearbox we've rebuilt, being 46 3-speeds, 8 four speeds and seven reverses. That was a commercial break for www.vlheaven.com.
                And now back to our show! HAHA!!
                Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Working...
                X