VL Oiler Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Oiler Question

I have posted this on the AMCA Facebook page also.
    When the Lobe on the cam pushed the piston (valve) inside at Idle does this decrease Oil volume?

With the spring installed on the front side of the wire,((as in this picture))
    P1010437.jpg
    it will have to compress as the pressure of the lobe encounters the resistance of the Piston (valve). I'm not sure if the internal parts are in the right order,..It does not look like there is any other way for them to be installed. When I got the bike the control wire for the oiler was installed with the cable pull on the outside (See Photo)
    100_7403.jpg
    which rubbed on the oiler cover and It had a fixed lock screw rather than a spring. I flipped it over and this rotated the lobe 90 degrees.
    Herman Fortman's photo.

Thanks
    Herman aka 50Pan

Dear Herman, the Owner's Handbook and my VL book should have the answers for you. The control wire is pushed as the throttle is opened, turning the cam plate anti-clockwise as seen from the right hand side of the bike.

Comment

Thanks you Mr. Slocome
      I have your book and a photocopy of page 8 out of the riders handbook. VL's are new to me. I have spent years working on Pans and a few knuckles. I just want to make sure I have it back in the right order and my understanding on how it works is correct. As I see the pump its a three piston pump in a rotating shaft that moves front to back increasing and decreasing the volume of oil. How it increases and decreases the volume I have not yet figured out. I have no need to complete dissemble the pump other than to explore and I don't plan on taking something apart that works. I'll rest assured that I have it correct and not worry about how it changes volume.

Your book has been very helpful. Thank You
      Herman

Comment

The early VL oil pump has the stroke of those little pistons controlled by a vertical swash plate hinged at the top, like a modern hydraulic pump I'm told. The little cam on the control shaft moves the vertical plate as the throttle is opened or closed, so altering the stroke of the pistons and the oil flow rate.

Comment

OK. Without taking it apart and from looking at the pictures in your book, I had it in my mind that the swash plate was fixed and could only move in and out. Now that you tell me its Hinged I can see in my mind 3D how it works.
          Thanks you Sir.

Comment

Steve, is there a check ball/spring in the back of the oil pump on a 33. I am having an over oiling issue and wondered if there was one that might be leaking. I have already addressed the check ball in the oil tank.
            Bob Selph
            1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
            1940 Sport Scout
            AMCA#15215

Comment

Dear Bob, the check ball and spring in the back of the pump came out with the 1934 alloy oil pump. For 1933 you have a one-year-only adjustable chain oiler controlled by a tapered screw in the body of the oil pump, near the little copper pigtail going to the breather pocket cover. The chain oiler was a great feature for dirt roads but can be turned off today by bottoming the adjuster screw. In addition, again for 1933 only, the oiler mainshaft has a fourth hole in it carrying a fixed jet nozzle, as well as the three holes for the pistons and springs. Surely this can also be blocked off, as the chains get enough oil from the engine breather. Also, that 672-29 screw in the back of the pump controls the slope of the swash plate referred to above. If you put in a longer 038 or even 039 screw, dressed to a taper at the end, this holds the swash plate more vertical, reduces the stroke of the pistons, and reduces overoiling. This also works on late JDs.

Comment

Working...
              X