34 VD Right hand shift Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 34 VD Right hand shift Questions

Hello everyone, been soaking up info around here for a while, thought I'd jump in now that i have a question I couldn't find an answer to. I Bought a 1934 VD that is right hand shift, supposedly the way it always has been. My question is to the left throttle. It rolls away from you to accelerate. Is that correct or did someone use the wrong spiral? Also just how rare are right shift VL's?

Thanks in advance.
    Erik

Hey Eric,I'm no expert,but that throttle sounds fishy.My Indian with the left throttle turns in to accelerate.I think that the right hand shift was rare.I've never seen one in all the years I've been obsessed with the damn things.I do have a right side tank that is set up for it though.

Comment

Yes Harley made some right hand shift VLs when they had to compete for Police contracts where Indian were the incumbent make and the specs were slanted that way. I've seen a few right hand shift tanks over the years. There is a dummy front filler to secure the shifter gate, and my pals at Harbor Vintage have seen a right hand shifter gate made by turning over a regular one, then rebending and restamping it. Don't know if this was 'factory'. I have a parts list here somewhere with the parts carring 1935 numbers. Note the 1935 short left twist spiral would be re-used on the 1942/3 WLC where the Canadians wanted left hand throttle. 1934 is of course the last year for the long spiral, so it is conceivable that Harley used the regular spirals for the left throttle that year only, meaning they operated backwards until left hand spirals were made in 1935. All speculation of course.

Comment

There is a guy on the CAIMAG forum with the opposite problem. He has a left handed throttle control on his 34VL and needs a normal one. You guys need to get together.
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Rubone: I found that thread on CAI and just read it. If I remember correct, the carb is push to accelerate correct? If thats the case, he may have what i need.
          So am I to understand then that that is how indian left throttles worked-away is accelerate. Sounds like from what steve said, either way on the throttle could be correct. I think if that's the case I will convert it to roll back is accelerate. Its hard enough going back and forth from my left tank shift bikes to right; dont need a funny throttle making it worse.

Thanks all for you input.

Erik

Comment

Originally posted by enurenberg View Post
            Rubone: I found that thread on CAI and just read it. If I remember correct, the carb is push to accelerate correct? If thats the case, he may have what i need.
            So am I to understand then that that is how indian left throttles worked-away is accelerate. Sounds like from what steve said, either way on the throttle could be correct. I think if that's the case I will convert it to roll back is accelerate. Its hard enough going back and forth from my left tank shift bikes to right; dont need a funny throttle making it worse.

Thanks all for you input.

Erik
            Indian left hand throttles work just like the right ,twisted toward rider to accelerate.
            Tom

Comment

Right Hand pictures

When I visited the Motorcyclepedia Museum I took a bunch of pictures. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed that I'd taken a picture of a VL that had once been a right-handed shift model. The pictures not great but here it is for reference:

VL Right.jpg

When I got home and finally noticed the different tanks, it dawned on me what I had seen. I emailed this picture to my brother and he emailed back to me photo's of a right hand shift gate that he has. He wrote: " the letters on the top side are a bit smaller than bottom (which are the same size as a left side). The plate itself appears to be stamped from the top side just as the left gate. Notice also that the top is not stamped with Oil. And the "knob" which is not on the VL plate is welded on from the bottom side. Also I haven't found a part number."

Top view.jpg

Bottom View.jpg

Lippy

Comment

Thanks for the continuing info guys. I am in contact with the guy on the CAI forum, we're going to talk and see what we can figure out, hopefully we both have what the other needs.

Erik

Comment

That's great Erik. Hope it works out.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Just to close this thread, I received the opposite spiral and it should work fine.

Comment

If you have this problem again and want to ride,switch the spirals so the timer is backwards and the throttle is normal-much easier & safer to ride-you still have to remember the backwards timer side

Comment

Working...
                      X