stuck seat post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck seat post

Hi,I'm looking for ideals on how to get a stuck lower section of a seat post out of a VL frame.The top section was out when I got it.I got the nut off the rod that is sticking out of the bottom of the frame.The rod is free and spins.I put a pipe down the tube from the top and hooked up a clamp and was able to compress the springs down[to free up if stuck].I put a smaller pipe over the rod on the bottom that fits into the bottom hole and hammered the hell out of it.I've heated it up till the grease was sputtering.I've soaked it over night with a mix 50/50 of acetone and atf.No luck,any ideals would be appreciated,thanks Johnny

Dear Johnny, most of the classic old school methods will work, involving soaking in diesel, heat, and brute force. Those lower seat springs can rust into the seat post tube. Try turning the frame over and hammering out the seat post rod, then I guess hooking out the springs in bits from above.

Comment

Check under Panhead
      65 Seat post
      9-21-2010
      I had the same problem,it was discussed here.
      Hope this helps,the tools I made worked on mine and I did 2 others since.

Comment

Ok,I finally got it out.After soaking,heating and pounding here is how I did it.I laid the frame down between 2 brick columns that are in my basement.I then found a small pipe that fits into the hole on the bottom of the frame where the seat post is.I blocked the top of the frame with a chunk of oak wood up against the brick column and laid a 12 ton bottle jack on its side up against the other column.Put the small pipe in the bottom hole and to the jack.Pumped the jack which pushed the pipe against the pogo pushing it out.The power of hydraulics!!!!I'm glad that I didn't push the brick columns out taking down my house.

Comment

Dear Johnny, that sounds suitably Old School. Well done!

Comment

Working...
          X