Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Measurement and straightening of Fork I-Beam?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measurement and straightening of Fork I-Beam?

Are dimensions available for the fork I-beam 2604-30? I need to determine if the legs are straight and parallel. I suspect one side is bent, it just doesn't look right and does not line up with the tubular section 2606-30, however I know 2606-30 is bent and I will straighten it to get the rockers to fit nicely again, once the I-beam is correct.

A correct distance between the ears at the bottom of the I-beam where the rocker studs mount up would be a start, or can you recommend someone with a jig? I'm in the Atlanta area, maybe I should also ask Cleet . . .

See the photo, one leg has a definite sway towards the top that the other side does not have.
    DSC02177.jpg
    1936 VLD in process
    1969 Honda Z50 K1 perfect!
    1985 Yamaha RZ350 resto-mod
    2006 KTM 950 Adventure
    2019 KTM 300 XCW

The inside dimension at the bottom of the main fork leg is 7 3/8".

Comment

I used a set up like this to straighten mine, had to way over bend to allow for spring back, but my end result was accomplished. I did not use heat.
      Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Thanks Steve and Big Lake Bob, this is what I needed. Definately will not chain one end of the I-beam to a tree and the other to a pick-up truck! I have access to a Celette bench at work, I'll have to see if I can replicate your holding fixture.
        1936 VLD in process
        2006 KTM 950 Adventure
        2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

Just checked Steve's dimension of 7 3/8" and mine is almost 7 3/4", so my old eyes did not deceive me. Now to very carefully apply some pressure . . . .
          DSC02178.jpg The brake drum side has a noticeable bend compared to the other side, so at least I know what to emulate.DSC02177.jpg
          1936 VLD in process
          2006 KTM 950 Adventure
          2019 KTM 300 XCW

Comment

Mine was bowed like yours but a little further down. It took a lot of over bend to get mine to move. Notice the dial indicator on my set up. I would push so far then check how much it moved, then repeat until I got the right spread. Just try to keep the leg from twisting, parallel push. You may be able to support the long section of leg that is straight and push or pull on main frame. Side note: I am by no means a fork expert, just a guy that got lucky bending his own! Good luck. There are experienced people in the club that do this for others I believe.
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Do the legs on the VL fork ever come loose or break where they attach to the lower "T" piece? That area makes me nervouse when I look at it.

Comment

Remember there are, at least, early and late VL main fork legs. The early ones have straight legs, while the 1934-36 style are bowed out about 1/4" - 3/8" at the top under the bridge section, to accommodate the new wider mudguards. I've never seen the fork legs come loose, but I did buy two nos replacement legs once, and was able to put back in service a set where a previous owner had watched Easy Rider, sawn off the bottom of the forks, then run out of inspiration. That is a serious piece of riveting on the forks and I'm sure Harley knew a lot about that process.

Comment

Working...
                X