Chicago Motorcycle Supply Handle Bar Grips Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Motorcycle Supply Handle Bar Grips Install

Greetings, I am restoring a 45 WLA and found a pair of NOS grips made by Chicago Motorcycle Supply. The grips appear to be made from a hard ribbed plastic & are the exact copy of the ones that were on the bike when I received it. They seem to be incredibly tight to install even after heating up in a pot of water for several minutes. I am afraid to proceed much further without some direction on this. Any suggestions or advice on proper installation technique?
    Thanks.
    Roonhd

Heat the grips and freeze the spirals. Chicago grips are a custom part and not a part for a restoration.
    Be sure to visit;
    http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
    Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
    Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

I remember mic ing the ID and OD of the sleeve , and honing the grip for a press fit. Depending on the spiral , you might have to take out a lot of material to even get it close to fitting, if you force it you'll crack the hard plastic. I found them a bit uncomfortable , and found I liked the OE type grips better. Bottom line is ....Do not force them on , size them to fit.
      Hope that helps...
      Adam

Comment

I have 3 original sets of the hard plastic grips on Indian spirals, all were installed probably in the late 40s to 50s and all 3 sets are cracked / split. I've been told that most were cracked during install as they were always too tight. I happen to like the ones on my rider '47 Chief, they look like a green / cream swirled bowling ball, but then I'm not a points guy so period accessories are fine in my eyes.
        Mike Carver
        AMCA #3349

Comment

I had a tough time also installing a set of the CMS grips on a set of shortened spirals for a set of Flanders bars. I cracked the first one but ended up using a lathe to turn down the sipral OD and then hone the ID of the grip in order to make a proper fit. Still had to soften them, as Chris noted, in order to get them on. Nerve-racking.
          Lonnie Campbell #9908
          South Cackalackey, U.S. of A.

Come see us at the Tenth Annual AMCA Southern National Meet - May 17-19, 2019 at Denton FarmPark, Denton, N.C.

Visit the website for vendor and visitor information at www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com

Comment

Working...
          X