36 four speed-VL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36 four speed-VL

Hi,I've acquired a partial 1936 VL 4 speed tranny.I've tried posting pics.for help in IDing some of the gears,etc,but I can't figure it out.I have a nice case,cover,inner cover with the arms,top shifter arm that I'm sure of.I have a main shaft,counter shaft,main drive gear,and 3-4 other gears that I'm not sure of.Does anyone have pictures of these 4 speed gears.The parts book has pics,but they are too small to positively ID.Are parts available and is it worth restoring?1936 one year only,thanks

Dear Johnny, you need my book on restoring the VL four speed and reverse gearboxes, surely a triumph of desk top publishing over common sense. It is $30 including airmail and has strip down procedures for both boxes, plus complete parts and price lists. Several of the VL four speed parts are not in the Harley books. I made ten sets of four speed gears and shafts some years ago and sold eight boxes, so still have some new and used spares. This is Harley's first constant mesh gearbox for the Big Twin, pre-dating the knucklehead box by a few months. It transforms the VL, and fills that gap between 2nd and 3rd gears on the 3-speed when you are running tall gearing. I'd say go for it.

Comment

Hi Steve,I'm not sure if I want to build it to use or just sell it as is.I talked to a guy at Wauseon that had 2 36VLHs with the 4 speeds and he was not happy with them.I wish I would of gotten his name and email so I could find out more.The book I would like.Johnny

Comment

Working...
      X