Woodruff Keys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Woodruff Keys

I'm trying to put a starter clutch gear back on a VL.It has 2 Woodruff keys that fit in the grooves on the Main shaft and grooves inside the gear.They dry fit well,but when I try[2 hours] to get it all together the damn keys slide back and jam into the main starter gear to the rear.AGHHHHHHHH I've clamped the main gear back-its got a spring behind it,but no luck aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhhhhhh help

I've used a center punch to raise a bit of metal on the key so that you can drive it into it's slot. Also make sure there are no burrs on the leading edges of the key that will catch on the gear key way.
    Eric Smith
    AMCA #886

Comment

Drop of red loctite or Crazy Glue in the groove can help keep it from spinning backwards.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Are you sure that it uses D shaped Woodruff keys? If it's like a JD, then it uses rectangular key stock there.
        Mark
        Mark Masa
        www.linkcycles.com

Comment

keys

Originally posted by MMasa View Post
          Are you sure that it uses D shaped Woodruff keys? If it's like a JD, then it uses rectangular key stock there.
          Mark
          Thanks for the tips,I ended up using one rectangular and one d shaped.

Comment

Working...
          X