Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help

My 30 VL is done, I think, but it wont start! It has comperssion and spark and I think fuel. I took the rear plug out to assure it had spark and laid it in the block. I kicked it and it had spark but then the front cyliner BANG!Like a backfire. Put ther rear plug back in and nothing. Is it possibel I have the plug wires crossed? Thought they fired at the same time? When I went through the motor all the gear markings lined up perfectly except the timmer, which was off by about a 1/2 tooth, but didn't think much of it as the timmer is ajustable. Any thoughts?

Now that I think about it that was a dumb question. As they both spark at the same time (wasted spark system) it dosn't matter which plug wire goes where. Guess I will have to look elswhere. Weard thing is when I cnahged the wires I am now getting a little kick back that I did not have before?

Comment

I remember the first time I had tried to start my VLH and it just wouldn't start. Later... I found that you close the choke, KEY IN OFF POSITION give it 2-3 kicks (depends on how cold it is), then, open choke 2 clicks and THEN turn on your key. Give it a good kick and it should start or at least sound like it will start. You may already know that... but just in case. Here is a pic of my VLH gears which are the same as the '30 VL. Hope this confirms your gear alignment.
      Timing Gears VLH.jpg
      Last edited by Jim; 08-19-2014, 08:34 AM.
      Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Yup it does, but like I said the timmer gear would not line up perfectly. As close as I could get was about 1.2 tooth off. I am told there is no way to screw it up as long as the markinge line up, ie: cant be off 180 or anything like that. I have a Mikuni carb on it. I think part of the problem is that the motor is a bit tight so cant get a good kick on it so I am thinking I may have to run it down a hill to get it running the first time. My valves are all at about 7 thou. gap.100_0860.jpg I even tried poring some gas in both cylinders and nothing.......
        Last edited by wyatt emp; 08-19-2014, 10:29 AM.

Comment

On 1930/33 bikes the No 4 cam often has two timing marks for the early magneto bikes. Inevitably you end up timing it on the wrong mark and the bike fires on only one cylinder. Setting the ignition timing on the broad rather than the narrow end of the timer cam has the same effect. Setting the timer with the condenser more or less upright at full advance is a good eyeball check to start.

And Harley starting procedure is important. First time out it's about 4 handpumps of oil in the cases, two turns out for both carb needles, gas on, ignition off, three kicks on full choke, then half choke, ignition on, and away she goes next kick.

Comment

Working...
          X