Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One more time, Rich,

http://virtualindian.org/11techleaktest.html

Beware that once you fix the vacuum leak, the float may not be all you hoped.
    Ever notice that it is virtually identical to a brass?

.....Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Well, I just found this thread. A couple friend's and I purchased an OP 1963 HD ServiCar recently and he has been riding it around his small addition with no real problems. But, when he went to ride 25 miles or so to the local James Dean (Fairmount, IN) Days to a display of local old bikes, his 45 is doing the very same thing as described here. He called me at work and afterwards, I went to find him broken down in town. I started it right up, but it would only go about 8 or ten blocks and then die again. I looked in the tank and the gas was slightly "bubbling" as if it were hot. I gathered that this was from simply sitting, after being ridden in the hot weather, and the front cylinder head was heating the gas up without air running across for cooling. I followed along behind him and it stopped again. I instantly took off the fuel cap and the same thing inside, bubbling gas. I removed the fuel line and it seemed as if there was an "air pocket", for lack of a better phrase. I put the fuel line back on and it started right up. He drover for about a mile and the same thing. It does usually start on the first kick, too. I did this for an hour until he got home. He is a new "old bike owner" and a first time motorcycle rider that just got his endorsement, so I hope this does not make him rethink his old bike purchase. However, he is bringing it over some time soon for me to diagnose the issue, but I went through very similar on the road testing and also through my mind, ending with that it sounds like a venting issue, float level issue or something similar. We shall see.

Comment

Had this happen to me with a '51 WL that I owned years ago....Either you have the wrong cap on the gas tank, (unvented), or the vented cap that you have on the tank is clogged....When it happened to me, I sprayed some bolt loosener into the vent hole on the inside of the cap, and blew it out with compressed air....Believe me, a pile of junk came out of the inside of the cap! 2 or 3 sprays and a couple blasts of air later, the bike ran fine

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 46FL. After running down the highway at 60+mph I would run the bowl dry. Caps were venting properly, had good flow from the tank, float, needle and seat were good, and the filter screen looked good. When I tried to blow through the screen, it seemed a little tough. After a good look with a magnifier I saw that the openings in the screen were mostly plugged with the white residue that ethanol leaves. With a good cleaning using carb spray and a brush I'm back to cruising at freeway speeds all day with no trouble.
          Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Good tip Kyle. I always put your advice, and observations in the memory bank.
            Eric Smith
            AMCA #886

Comment

Hey Rich,

I tried to respond to your PM but apparently your inbox is full. You gotta delete some messages man. Let me know when you do.

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by Vintage Shane View Post
                Hey Rich,

I tried to respond to your PM but apparently your inbox is full. You gotta delete some messages man. Let me know when you do.

Shane
                OK now . . . I think!
                Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Working...
                X