Need to create friction or ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to create friction or ?

Hello all, this is my 1st post and hopefully I can get some help.
    I have a 1950 WL and I need to adjust the throttle control so that there is some drag or friction in the mechanism. As it sits, hitting even the smallest bumps causes my hand/wrist to move which increases or decreases the amount of throttle I'm trying to use.

Previously I've had a '67 xlch, '72 xlch and a '77 flh which all had a knurled screw that you could tighten and use the throttle like a cruise control. Is there any similar adjustment that I'm missing ?( all original parts on throttle control) I have civilian and military manuals but no info in them.

Had a weak spring rigged from top motor mount to throttle lever on carb but it wasn't good. Like I said, rigged.

You don't say whether the controls are stock original or aftermarket/ external type. What do you have? Standard controls work just fine with no friction.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Rob, 2nd paragraph I mention all throttle controls are original. Yes, they operate as designed but I'd like to have the throttle so that it's not so easy to apply.

Comment

MickM!

There is a tiny spiral spring beneath the throttle lever upon the carb throttleshaft.

It is called a "friction spring", and although it doesn't produce much resistance, yours may be missing.

Normally any resistance is undesireable, but you can compress this spring by lowering the lever, to the point of a bind if you like.

If bumps and vibration cause changes, you may have issues with the coiled sheath over the wire acting like a spring to change the wire's position. Inspect see if too much of the coil extends beyond the securing clip, or possibly even the set screw by the grip is not engaging the spool that retains the coil.

Let us know how it goes,

....Cotten
        Last edited by T. Cotten; 04-26-2014, 08:35 AM.
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks, will do.

Comment

Went out and had another look. I had the Linkert rebuilt a few years ago by a guy near here who ran an ad ad in the club magazine. Can't recall the name but think he had/has some flathead speed records. Anyway it doesn't feel as bad as I remembered so one of these days, some gas, oil and a charged battery, I'll see how it does. Thanks for the insight, Mick

Comment

A couple of tips on factory non return throttles. Keep a somewhat loose grip, a death grip will jerk it all over. They stay where you set them, so constant feathering like a modern bike is not needed.
              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
              X