Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harley VL 2500-19 thrust washer & rear brake lining questions

I need help on two questions on my VL.

1 - I have installed clutch assembly to transmission shaft, but clutch assembly will not turn free while in neutral. I have correct size 301-15 bearing cages and bearings, however I have two different thickness 2500-19 thrust washers. Problem appears that both thrust washers are too thick. One is 0.1087" thick and the other is 0.0862" thick. Clutch assembly will turn freely in neutral until I make about last revolution on the 2275-30 nut and then clutch assembly locks up. I can assembly the clutch assembly to the transmission with an incorrect 0.0852" thick flat washer instead of the thrust washer and the clutch assembly will spin in neutral with a slight drag at one area (so still a little tight). Did Harley originally furnish a range of different thickness 2500-19 thrust washers for this purpose and is there anything wrong with milling down the thickness on one of the thrust washers I have. I do not believe it would be to thin in the approx 0.0850" range. There is definately not enought room for reproduction thrust washers in the 0.1087-0.0862" thickness range. Or have I done something wrong?

2 - My rear brake shoes came with linings already installed, however when I install brake drum and install on bike, the linings appear to slightly (but too much) drag at the inside corner of the brake drum. Maybe due to incorrect width or thickness of linings. How can I tell if I have incorrect UL linings or correct VL linings. Can someone give me width and thickness of correct VL rear brake linings.

Buster, I sell a seven thrust washer set (2500-19) which will solve at least one part of your problem. Bob L The Good Old Motorcycle Parts Co. 201-683-8977
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Comment

Dear Buster, yes Harley made the 2500-19 thrust washers in increments 0.090-0.120" thick. I've made them including a 0.072" thick one which might do the trick for you - can bring to Oley. The usual problem is that modern sealed ball bearings do not have the small offset as on the original 2280-15 and this throws off the mainshaft relative to the clutch.

On rear brake linings my nos Chicago Motorcycle Supply ones are 0.152" thick which looks like 5/32". I usually put on rather thicker bonded linings, which compensates for some drum wear. If still tight you can sand down the linings.

Comment

Thanks for the replys Steve and Robert. I milled my 3500-19 about 0.020" and clutch hub is free in neutral. My linings measure 5/32" thick, I will try sanding at the outside corner were it appears to be dragging.

Comment

Working...
        X