Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VL trans question - grease transfer from grease fitting through 2285-25 race?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL trans question - grease transfer from grease fitting through 2285-25 race?

I could not figure out how grease goes from sprocket side grease fitting to bearings in 2285-25 sprocket side large bearing race on main shaft, so I pulled the race out. I found a small grove machined into the sprocket side of race. Is this were the grease goes from exterior grease fitting through race to bearings or is there supposed to be a hole drilled through race that lines up with hole in case for grease fitting. If the grove on side of race is were grease transfers through to bearings, does this hole have to be lined up with taped hole in case for grease fitting. Since I have this 2285-25 race out, how hard is it to get back in. Can I heat case, freeze race, and tap in with wood block and hammer. I have a press, however no fitting large enought to fit on this race to press in the case with my press. Would I be better taking case and case to machine shop and have pressed in. Any help appreciated. Thanks!!

Dear Buster, yes the notch in the race needs to be against the bottom of the grease tube hole. If the race came out of your box it will go back in. Heating the case, freezing the race, then tapping in with a wood or nylon block has always worked for me.

Comment

Working...
    X