Skyway blue paint code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skyway blue paint code

Can anyone lead me to a modern paint code for Skyway blue. I prefer to use single stage paint from a local paint shop. I'm currently repainting a 1942 flathead U, and would apriciate any help. Thanks in advance, Barry

Originally posted by barry7564 View Post
    Can anyone lead me to a modern paint code for Skyway blue. I prefer to use single stage paint from a local paint shop. I'm currently repainting a 1942 flathead U, and would apriciate any help. Thanks in advance, Barry

I am in need of this as well. Barry, did you ever figure anything out? Or could someone help us out?

Keith

Comment

Jonh Pierce at Pierce Colowrite (AMCA Member) is the best source for highly accurate Harley paints.
      Bill Pedalino
      Huntington, New York
      AMCA 6755

Comment

Originally posted by kehughes View Post
        I am in need of this as well. Barry, did you ever figure anything out? Or could someone help us out?

Keith
        I have an extensive list from Jim Hanson, that has cross referenced most and on a few just color matched. Unfortunately Skyway Blue was color matched from two different bikes and came up with two very slightly different shades. I use his color references as all my bikes are riders (though still as correct as possible and economicaly feasible). If you are 100% show and want 100% accuracy go with J Peirce.
        The PPG codes I have are 17765 and 18237 if you care to go that route.
        Cam

Comment

Skyway blue

Originally posted by camsaure View Post
          I have an extensive list from Jim Hanson, that has cross referenced most and on a few just color matched. Unfortunately Skyway Blue was color matched from two different bikes and came up with two very slightly different shades. I use his color references as all my bikes are riders (though still as correct as possible and economicaly feasible). If you are 100% show and want 100% accuracy go with J Peirce.
          The PPG codes I have are 17765 and 18237 if you care to go that route.
          Cam

Cam,

First, thank you for your help. I spoke to a local paint supplier that told me the 17765 crossreferenced to Ford Grabber Blue, but this looks a little lighter than what I was thinking Skyway Blue was. He said the other number came up with some Dodge fleet color that he would not have any picture or chip of. Do you know what the difference is between these two numbers? one lighter/darker??...etc.

Also does anyone have photos of any original paint Skyway Blue motorcycles?

Comment

Cam,

First, thank you for your help. I spoke to a local paint supplier that told me the 17765 crossreferenced to Ford Grabber Blue, but this looks a little lighter than what I was thinking Skyway Blue was. He said the other number came up with some Dodge fleet color that he would not have any picture or chip of. Do you know what the difference is between these two numbers? one lighter/darker??...etc. Also does anyone have photos of any original paint Skyway Blue motorcycles?
            You can always tint the color darker (easier than tinting lighter) if you were not happy with it. Remember, there was a Grabber Blue back in the early 70's that may look different than the "newer" Grabber Blue. ALSO... very important note, the paint will only match as good as the guy mixing it. IF you get a guy that isn't careful, it could be the ORIGINAL H-D code and it would be horrible looking. (Know what I mean?) One other thing, paint chips in those "books" are for "reference only" and not the gospel truth. 99% close though.... I used to do auto body work so I know about chips and how they match. Also, if you "THINK" that you'd like a specific color, see if they can mix you a 1/2 pint so you can test it out. Then, if you like it, you can order more.

When I painted my '36 VLH I used the green called "British Racing Green". Looks great! and looks very close to the original H-D green that I seen in museum pics of original bikes. Nobody has ever questioned the match... then again, I have never had it judged 8^O

GOOGLE the color "Grabber Blue" using IMAGES and you can see several variations of the same color in the same years.
            Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Cam,

First, thank you for your help. I spoke to a local paint supplier that told me the 17765 crossreferenced to Ford Grabber Blue, but this looks a little lighter than what I was thinking Skyway Blue was. He said the other number came up with some Dodge fleet color that he would not have any picture or chip of. Do you know what the difference is between these two numbers? one lighter/darker??...etc.

Also does anyone have photos of any original paint Skyway Blue motorcycles?
              Sorry, I have not painted any bikes that color, so I can't be of much help other then what I posted. That is the only color on that list that had two references and one of about six that was matched rather then by mix code.

Comment

Working...
              X