No announcement yet.

45 flat head hop up suggestions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Problem - happy to help. Here they are.
    Attached Files

Comment

67 Servi - Right side.
      Attached Files

Comment

thanks paul

Alright you guys here are pics of the 67 Sr."V" project before, I will soon have some pictures of during resto to go with these.

Comment

JB, does the starter work? I don't know anything about trikes, but I don't see a kicker? Did the late model trikes not have one?

Louie

Comment

Rick,JB,
            Well Done! boy youve got your work cut out for you but youll have TONS of FUN!! I personally havent hada servi for going on 20 years when they were no soooo expensive! My last one was bought in Tyler Texas from an elderly lady whos husband had run a service station for years and passed away,we came to terms over the phone, I had never seen the bike other than one picture that a family member showed me at a SHRNERS Convention, Well making a long story short she asked when Id be down to pick it up, Still working as a Firefighterand not having the free time I do now being retired, I responded Ill send a truck in a week or so,here is were it gets good! She says if thats the case dont send your money,after you recieve the MC and like it send the money,I trust you! 10days later the servicar was at my house in Maine,all it needed to run was a plate! and the neat thing about it it had all the tow hitch attachments with it and they were labeled! what a time we had with that machine! After awhile it was sold to a friend in Canada who stills has it. I know this is a little of the topic but thought Id throw it in...After all THE OLD SAGE isnt the only one who has stories!!!
            Will be looking for up dates as you move forward!

Comment

Good Eye!

You are correct Louie, no kicker to be seen as it is a 67GE I can add a kick but that would require changing some transmission stuff I would like to make it a kick back up, but thats extra dough not necessary to go around the block. So many other things are needed at this point. Just to bring everyone up to speed, as it sits right now in my garage there I have removed all carriage parts, springs and everything, No Tanks on the Trike as i am stripping them to the metal. No heads on right now Terry has bead blasted them at his shop, Up front is a 74? FX/Superglide Front end with a single disc, 19" chrome spoke which i got 11-13-04 Local swap meet. In the rear are two White letter Dunlop GT 265/50r15's on american racing vintage wheels. I need a Front Truss Bar, New brake lines, Shoes are probally ok for now just to go around the block May need to rebuild master cylinder, I Still haven't purchased a dash and speedo and all electrical wiring needed yet, I need to replace rear chain and the primary chain, I have two incorrect distributors one a 63 xl and one a early style manual retard, I have the M51 linkert about 98% clean still looking for one of those cv's that johnny was talking about. I am currently stripping the tanks, the jugs and a (seat tee) that is on loan it will look new when i return it to it's owner, Oh and one other thing I'm doing not been easy since i don't have a torch yet , replaceing the seat tee bracket some idiot chopped it off. Does anybody want to hear a funny.....? Monday night I got so involed that I lost all track of time went down the garage at 8:00pm thinking that I would just work til 12:30 at the latest.........I was starting to get tired so I went to my cell phone over on the tool table to see what time it was ......3:05 !!!!! AM...!!!! It was 4:00am by the time I got cleaned up and got in bed. The garage now has a battery operated clock. Ha Ha LOL. I'm Lucky to have such a understanding wife. Alright it's time to head to the garage I'll check back later.

Comment

FLATHEAD 45 WITH POWER

i"VE BEEN FOOLING WITH WLs and Gs FOR MANY YEARS , JUST FOR MORE GO , TRY A BIGGER CARB.MANIFOLD..11/2 LINKERT OR 34MM SLIDE TYPE.
                .WLD CYLINDERS AND INTAKE ARE A BETTER WAY FOR MORE GO
                , WLDR OR ADAPTED K MODELS WITH SOME HOTTER CAMS ARE TOPS FOR BOLT ONS..
                THE EASY WAY FOR MORE POWER IS TO STROKE IT , INDIAN FLYWHEELS ARE IFFY , NOT MUCH STROKE , AND THE TAPERS / OIL HOLES / END PLAY TROUBLESOME.
                T@O MAKES BOLT IN STROKER WHEELS USING 45 RODS.
                S@S MAKES STROKER WHEELS USING XL RODS ,
                PISTONS ARE A PROBLEM WITH SOME STROKES , I USE AUTOMOTIVE PISTONS IN MY MOTORS .
                HOPE THIS HELPS SOME , 45S WILL RUN LIKE THE WIND , AND OUT RUN SOME MODERN IRON WITH THE RIGHT COMBO.GOOD LUCK, MUNRO

Comment

Hop Up Your Trike

Back in the 60's in my hometown of Jamestown, N.Y. an old machinist by the name of Bill Reeves built a HD Trike with a Ford V8 Flathead. He had a standing offer that he would give it to anyone who could hold the throttle open. To the best of my knowledge no one ever took him up on it.

The hot setup in the 70's was to use a SU carb. You can find them with the same bore and bolt pattern that will fit a 45. I ran one on my WL for a while. Look in junkyards for old British sports cars.

Comment

thanks

That sounds cool , It's 1:30 am and i just got my hands clean enough to check my e-mail , I'm going to post a new message as Jb's progress in the flat head forum. look for it there.

Comment

45 hop up

Hey JB give Gus Karnes a call at Utopian cycle bits. We were on the death Valley run with him and one of his buddies. His buddy had a 45 that gus had built for him and even with his girlfriend on the back he was pulling away from my 45 like I was standing still.

Comment

OK

Len does he have a web site ? Can you get me his number? Thanks a bunch!

Comment

www.utopiancyclebits.com

Gus Karnes

Comment

JB:

I was checking out the pics again, admiring the seat. Does not seem you would be in any danger of falling off, once you are properly centered. Is it uncomfortable?

FYI, I believe Truett & Osborne list a set of Stroker flywheels in ductile iron, basically duplicating the Indian stroke - 50-something cubic inches, I believe (?).

Lonnie

Comment

cool

I recently had my first offical trike ride, It was on my mentor's 52g after about four times around the block i quit looking for the clutch with my left hand and fell right into the foot clutch with ease,after about two more trips I was getting into third and letting it roll man I hope mine can run this good.I had a blast I went home with a grin so wide my wife looked at me with a suspicious look.

Comment

JB,
                                looks like your well on your way to having a good summer! There is a fellow who works at the FayettevilleNC HD dealer thats from up my way,his name is Dnnis Thurlow, he is a surgeon when it comes to making 45s go FAST! Call him or find out where he is and Im sure you wont be disappointed!!! He has ties to Zippers Cycles and Ive never had the oleasure of meeting a wrench thats better at what he does....and thats making MCs go faster! If you cannt locate him let me know Ill do a little snupin and see if we can find him he lokes things like your doin!

Comment

Working...
                                X