1939 HD carb finish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1939 HD carb finish

Hi guys, hope someone can help me out. I have located the proper carb body for my '39 UL. Its nickel finish is mostly worn off, and I want to have it re-plated. I got it stripped, main body only, and sourced the remaining parts.
    I know the body should be ''flash nickel plated", but am not sure about the rest of the parts. What finish should the mixture screws, choke lever, screws, etc. be? Are they nickel, or some other finish?
    Thanks for your help, Dwight
    AMCA 6295

Dwight!

Cadmium was being introduced upon carbs at that point, so the small hardware was a mix, and its anybody's guess as to when during the productions individual parts changed from "bright" nickel.

I have always found the 'thumb' chokelevers such as in the attachments to be nickel, whereas the bent rod type were cad, and I suspect the floatvalve lost its nickel to become bare before '39.

On an unmolested '39, I would expect to find nickel idlebleed and gallery plugs, choke cam, float pivot caps, LS lift spring collar, bowl cap, and hope for nickel lift lever and throttle lever.
    But cad would be no surprise, other than it survived.
    Most likely the bowlnut and needle knobs were cad by '39, from what has crossed my benches anyway.

The LS lift spring was whatever that black finish is, and the spiral friction spring had that beryllium color.

Small screws could be either plate as well, from my inspections.
    Internal disc screws should be changed arbitrarily to avoid fatigue, and the finish ignored.

You might as well follow your own personal tastes: Modern finishes are readily detectable anyway.
    I have yet to have a re-plated carb show up on my benches that was accurate and authentic.

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Cotton,
      Thanks so much for the detailed information! Exactly the type of help I was seeking.
      I'm sure my bike lost it's original carb to a service replacement years ago, along with other parts that were "upgraded" back in the day. I'm putting the correct parts on as I find them.
      Dwight
      AMCA 6295

Comment

Working...
      X