VL oil pump question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL oil pump question

Steve or somebody, I need help. Still peicing together my 1932ish VL. From Steve's book, I have a 1931 type oil pump (additional bolt fastens to pump from interior of camcase) and 1932-33 camcase cover (one hump over idler and hole for timer). When looking at oil pump mounted it has adjuster screw with spacers at 11 oclock and 5 oclock. Is the upper 11 oclock adjuster for low speed engine oiling or primary chain. Is the lower 5 oclock adjuster for the rear chain. Or am I totally wrong, what is each for. Also, with pump mounted to camcase, due to protruding crank case breather area of camcase, it does not look like there is enough room to remove the upper 11 oclock adjuster screw to add or remove spacers without removing the oil pump. Looks like it would even be difficult to just get at adjuster screw with screwdriver. To remove the oil pump to adjust this screw, I would have to remove camcase and remove fasteners from rear of pump. Is this correct, or do I have a oil pump and camcase cover which do not match. Any help appreciated.

Dear Buster, you may have the one-year 1933 oil pump. The tapered screw at the 5 o'clock position is an improvement on the 1930-32 design as it allows control of the permanent oil bleed to the breather pocket cover, which ends up venting oil mist to the primary cover and then the rear chain. The 11 o'clock screw is a stop screw for the low speed oiling. It is not like the 1934-36 pump with thin shims to adjust the flow, but is really just factory set and not intended to be adjusted.

Comment

My 11 oclock low speed oiling screw has multiple thin shims under it. Can you tell me if it should have any shims or how many for a starting point. If there is not a recommended general number of shims for a starting point (I am sure the current shims are not factory set up since screw was loose and pump was purchased individually from motor), how do I tell if this set screw is adjusted properly when I get motor running. Also, what is a good starting point for number of shims under the 5 oclock stop screw which provides oiling to the breather pocket. Thanks!!

Comment

Dear Buster, the low speed oiler originally had a single 0202 washer under it, which is 1/16" thick. On the chain oiler, I usually screw these right in as under-oiling is not usually a problem on VLs. They were built for dirt roads so rather undergeared and overoiled for today.

Comment

Working...
        X