'40 ULH frame parts needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '40 ULH frame parts needed

Who makes,sell quality Dash ,rear tank and toolbox mounts? WASCO FRAME?
    also what is the difference between a '38 and '40 frame?just the toolbox mount or are the castings different?
    Last edited by duffeycycles; 01-10-2014, 02:58 PM.

Duffey The toolbox bracket is one thing that is different but also the rear brake anchor tang. The castings differ only in the hallmarks which are just now getting deciphered. Most 1940 frames also have the dent on the top tube for rear head clearance. Maybe the taller FL engine was supposed to appear in 1940 instead of 1941.

I used to get an excellent dash repop dash mount from Lonnie at Competition Distributing but he no longer offers them. I am not familiar with what WASCO Frame offers. Most repop toolbox brackets are about an 1/8" narrower than originals.

Jerry

Comment

I believe a 40 frame is a one yr only frame. It was pointed out to my about fifteen or so yrs ago from Jim Long as he looked at what I thought was a 38 frame in need of repair. Needless to say I don't remember any of it. But I do remember him telling me that he could make my frame a 38 but the frame I had was a one yr only 1940 frame. So I had him repair it as a 1940 frame.
      Len.
      P.s. I believe it had something to do with the backbone with the weep hole and casting marks
      AMCA #765

Comment

Steve lists the 1940 only toolbox bracket,you could email him about the other parts.

http://www.raceframe.com.au/frame28.html

Comment

I had the catalog in my hands a few days ago of the frame parts made in Houston the owner said he sold Lonnie years ago, now I just have to remember which stack it was in to give you the name.

on the frame question the gusseting on rear axle casting between upper and lower frame legs was thicker mid 39, at least my 38 and 39 frames are different in this area. Shelby

Comment

Len If you get really technical most frames from 1936 thru 1955 at least are all one year only. Changes were happening constantly. My buddies who are into JD and VL tell me the same hold true for them as well.

Jerry

Originally posted by len dowe View Post
            I believe a 40 frame is a one yr only frame. It was pointed out to my about fifteen or so yrs ago from Jim Long as he looked at what I thought was a 38 frame in need of repair. Needless to say I don't remember any of it. But I do remember him telling me that he could make my frame a 38 but the frame I had was a one yr only 1940 frame. So I had him repair it as a 1940 frame.
            Len.
            P.s. I believe it had something to do with the backbone with the weep hole and casting marks

Comment

My '15 frame was only used on the last approx 700 '15 twins and the first 70-80 '16s ,--many times changes were mid year
              until I showed it on CAIMAG many of the "experts" had never seen one-you can't look at parts books and see all the differences
              same with the Cylinder castings and other parts

Comment

Working...
              X