1942 Harley Davidson U

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1942 Harley Davidson U

Hello, I have a 1942 Big Twin flathead U. I'm having trouble determining whether it was originally a civilian or military model. The vin # is 42U15XX . Any information on this model would be greatly appreciated. Production numbers would be great as well. I also would appreciate any advice on a front fender. It currently has a late style fender with wide braces. An original fender on feebay is already at 1550 (out of my comfort zone). Is there a good repo fender out there that is close to the original. Thanks in advance, Barry
    Attached Files

Most likely civilian with that low number (5XX). And as a U model most likely Police or commercial. Also originally most likely with a 3-speed or 3&R transmission. There is no specific chart to tell anything by the engine number, and Army and civilian numbers are stamped the same. There are also no distinguishing features on the engine or frame to determine one use over the other.
    Check with L&W on the fender. They advertise in the club mag.
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Thanks Robbie for the information. This motorcycle came from an old Harley Davidson Dealership owner who kept everything. It was a rolling basket case until my friend purchased it. He had it restored by a local mechanic (not a restorer) who has since passed away. My goal is to restore the bike, as closely as I am able, to original. Any input would be appreciated.

Comment

Luckly chrome and colors were available in 1942 as the War Restrictions hadn't come in yet.
        Be sure to visit;
        http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
        Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
        Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

The ebay fender went for $2550 Wow!! Ordered a USA made repo from L&W Body for 350. Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Working...
          X