32 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32 Build

Sold the 28 JD I just built. Wife said I had too many toys. Now I am building a 32 VL. I am going to modify it some$(KGrHqVHJEwFJh,r4mMYBScn!ziu!w~~60_57.jpg100_0534.jpg for ease and safety as I intend to ride it a lot. Front disc brake, newer Harley 4 speed rotary top tranny (so I can use a hand lever clutch).Going to try to stay with an original flat head motor but maybe newer then a 32. I will see what I can find. If the wife tells me to sell this one, maybe I will sell her.............

That's a strong frame and forks and you should have a lot of fun. I note the rail under the tank has already been cut out, and you can get a 1930 up to Evolution motor in there. Custom builders are putting in the later 4-speed transmission and star hub wheels without too many problems. Enjoy!

Comment

WAs thinking about an EVO but want to stay with original look including the tanks. Don't think a EVO will fit them. Going to have the a new rail welded and just picked up a 32 RL parts motor.100_0540.jpg

Comment

I heard the Swedish bobber guys are putting EVO engines in VL frames. Does anyone have a picture?

Comment

100_0560.jpg Turns out my frame is a 1930 VL as it has the small diameter brake crosover bar so will go with original VL motor. Already have a lead on a 1930 motor and will sell my 1932 RL motor parts.

Comment

You are going to have to do some design work to make the tranny and rear wheel sprockets line up.
            Be sure to visit;
            http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
            Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
            Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by wyatt emp View Post
              [ATTACH=CONFIG]12345[/ATTACH] Turns out my frame is a 1930 VL as it has the small diameter brake crosover bar so will go with original VL motor. Already have a lead on a 1930 motor and will sell my 1932 RL motor parts.
              Use a UL bottom end with a VL top end and it will bolt in. The UL is much better with the recirculating oil system.
              Be sure to visit;
              http://www.vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/main.php
              Be sure to register at the site so you can see large images.
              Also be sure to visit http://www.caimag.com/forum/

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Haynes View Post
                Use a UL bottom end with a VL top end and it will bolt in. The UL is much better with the recirculating oil system.
                Yeah but.... the UL uses old recirculated oil, BUT, the VL always uses "Fresh oil".... LOL (old time VL argument) ;^)
                Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

I kinda of like the circulation system. Takes the guess work out. I am finding a lot of 45's out there, mostly GE, WL Etc. Are they the same as the UL bottom end and I could pud put VL 74 top on it? My 32 RL engine sproket will not line up with the clutch sproket so I am assumnig a VL case is wider? Will the 45 cases also be too narrow? My rotart top tranny lines up perfectly with the wheel sproket.

Comment

With enough perseverance anything could be done I suppose but I don't think you want to try to graft a 74 top end on a 45.
                    Cory Othen
                    Membership#10953

Comment

So it the 74 VL case wider then the RL or 45?

Comment

VL frames with Knuck motors were the setup the top HD riders used in open class racing--not limited to 750cc
                        The trans was raised for clearance
                        My friend used Big Twin springer and UL kickstand,knuck motor and VL frame--won The Willies Tropical Tattoo show twice and took top honors winning three trophies at the famed Daytona Turkey Run Car show
                        had to hire a truck for the 3 ft-5ft -8ft trophies

Comment

WAnt to stay original. My concern is that I bought a 32 RL 45 and the motor sproket is too far inside to line up with the clutch sproket. Is a VL 74 wider and will solve the problem?100_0560.jpg

Comment

A VL motor will bolt in and line up if you have the pre 64 mainshaft in the trans. The mainshaft in your late trans is too long.
                            Kyle Oanes AMCA # 3046

Comment

Paughco springer with disk brake WLA rear fender with cutout for chain on wrong side,later front fender,rail missing from frame,There is not much that is original,,,Kyle is right the shaft in trans won't work..the Knuck in VL frame was a factory mod for factory racers..cool project though ,keep at it

Comment

Working...
                              X