Separating Flywheels on a '36 VLD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separating Flywheels on a '36 VLD

I am trying to separate the flywheel on my '36 vld. I want to clean it up and replace a few of the shafts. I have removed the nuts but they wont come apart. Any suggestions ?? Heat ??
    thanks
    Dan

Originally posted by danf19 View Post
    I am trying to separate the flywheel on my '36 vld. I want to clean it up and replace a few of the shafts. I have removed the nuts but they wont come apart. Any suggestions ?? Heat ??
    thanks
    Dan
    Dan!

Although many manuals prescribe a brutal beating upon the sides of the wheels to release them, a far gentler method is to take two wedges such as large chisels and insert them on each side of the rods, as shown in the attachment. Then alternating taps on each side will pop the wheels apart gently.
    The pin may remain captured in one wheel, but easily tapped out with a soft mallet, or preferably with a soft brass or aluminum puck placed upon it for the whack.

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

You can also use bolts with nuts on them to act as screw jacks...

Find a oair of short bolts that fits between the wheels. Put a nut on each and place them between the wheels. Unscrew the nuts until they begin to place pressure on the wheels. They will act as screw jacks to put a lot of force gently on the wheels. Once you have unscrewed the nuts as far as you can, whack the end of the pin and the taper will release. I may have put a picture of this in the thread on Indian Chief or engine rebuilding a year or so ago.

They will come apart... just don't wantonly wail on them with a hammer.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

http://www.antiquemotorcycle.org/bbo...ight=flywheels

Here you go... I did end up making screw jacks, but never photographed them. They worked like a charm, however.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

before ya take em apart, whats the plan to put them back together?
          gww57.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Will try the various methods which were suggested. I understand the "prying" method and think I understand the "screw jack" method. Will try both. after they are apart, I will clean them, replace a few shafts that look beat and have them "trued". Anything else I am missing ??
            thanks
            Dan

Comment

Dan!

You might find the discussion at http://virtualindian.org/1techflywheel.htm usefull.

I also advise lapping all tapers, as it makes truing a lot easier: http://virtualindian.org/10techfly.htm

Please understand that my method of separating the wheels was not "prying", but gently "shocking" the tapers to release.
              I use a "jack" between wheels when drilling them for balancing, however I fear it would take a great deal of pressure to break a taper loose with out the shock.

....Cotten
              AMCA #776
              Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Working...
              X