65A generator on VL motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 65A generator on VL motor

I want to convert the VL I am peicing together to 12 volt. Will a 65A 12v generator fit on a VL motor like it will on a 45 flathead? I tryed to fit one on my 1932 motor and it seems the generator shaft sticks too far into cam chest cover. The 65A generator I have is pretty ragged and I am hoping it has the wrong shaft in it or is put together wrong. If this does not work, how do you convert one to 12 volt (what generator).Thanks!!

dgcdhfcvhvnjvnv n 054.jpgdgcdhfcvhvnjvnv n 053.jpgMile 013.jpg

I installed a 65A generator from my '74 Ironhead on my '34 VL. Get a 32E 14 tooth gear, pin, spring and washer. It was as simple as cutting the threaded end of the shaft off at the gear and drilling a hole in the shaft for the pin. The center photo shows a 65A with the earlier gear mounted and the right is the 32E. I used a solid state regulator that mounts under the end cover. I got that from J&P. I built an adaptor bracket to mount the two bolt end cover instead of the later one bolt cover that comes with the kit. The photo on the right shows what it currently looks like on the bike. I left my original relay mounted and "wired" on the bike. Harbor Vintage evens sells the 32E tag that I have bought but have yet to install. With that mounted, it will be difficult to tell it is not a 32E unless you really look. Impossible at 55MPH. I got the unique 12V bulbs from Ron Francis Wiring.

Comment

Thanks Panama. Never though of cutting end of armature shaft off. The photo shows it well.

Comment

such a shame to ruin an original OEM armature core though. Might I suggest using an aftermarket armature for the cutting?
        Bill Pedalino
        Huntington, New York
        AMCA 6755

Comment

I don't cut anything OEM. My OEM armature is bad and I will be replacing with repo.

Comment

Buster!

Cycle Electric's "reproductions" are claimed to be made on the OEM equipment. And if you can provide a drawing, they may even make one to your spec. It was my request for a VirtualIndian.org project that led to their Indian conversion models.

www.cycleelectricinc.com;Ask for Carl,

....Cotten
            Last edited by T. Cotten; 10-30-2013, 09:33 AM.
            AMCA #776
            Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

If you use the 65A,don't drill the motor cases.
              Screw a couple of 1/4"-24 Helicoil inserts into the 65A,and use the standard 1/4" screws.

Comment

I noticed on Panama's conversion, the drive gear put on the 65A does not have a oil slinger. Do VLs use an oil slinger or not. Thanks!!

Comment

Sorry to be asking so many questions, looks like possibly no room in VL camchest for oil slinger maybe. So I will order the correct generator gear, is the gear I need the same as used for a 45" on 32E generator gear with no oil slinger. Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
                  X