Early vs. Late Clutch for 37 Big Twin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early vs. Late Clutch for 37 Big Twin

Hi all, a real newbie/"junior" here and my first post, please bear with me. I am restoring a 37 ULH that I began last spring. I saw a post earlier today on one of the threads (from about 2011) discussing the use of a 41-later clutch and a Thin outer primary by "removing 1-2 disks and shortening the studs". I do not have a 36-40 clutch with this bike and would like to use the later clutch if it will function well with this modification. I don't recall seeing if anyone gave the details on the exact number of disks to remove when using a later clutch and a thin primary and what the shortened stud dimensions should be. Has anyone done this on their 36-40 big twin and had good operation with that setup or have any recommendations on this approach? Thanks! JD

JD I have done this trick twice and both times I did it by the 'seat of my pants'. The first thing I did was to figure just how much I needed to remove from the studs by mounting the bare hub to the mainshaft with the inner primary in place. Then with the inspection cover off I tried to fit the thin outer cover to the inner cover and observing where the studs were hitting and about how much I needed to remove from them.

Once I had the studs trimmed enough so they could swing full circle I added as many plates and steels as could fit on the studs. If I remember right using aftermarket thin clutches on the last one I got the whole slate of components in but it is no problem using one less clutch and steel as long as you are not making lots of HP and hotrodding it.

Jerry

Comment

37 ULH Jerry is right on the money, I have done a few exactly like he described, they work just fine and IMO are much easier to adjust, thanks, Larry

Comment

Thanks Jerry and Larry for your helpful suggestions, I really appreciate it! JD

Comment

Working...
        X