WL oil pump check valve question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WL oil pump check valve question

I have a 46WL that has a problem with the oil feed check valve.
    When not running, the contents of the oil bag fill the crank case.
    I'm aware that there are three spring/ball valves on this type pump. Im not sure which one is the feed check valve.
    I am a WL novice and any advice on how to address this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Ed

Ed!

Once upon a time, I had a bright idea called "burnishing".
    I now disavow the practice, as well as cutters, lapping, setting with a punch, or other approaches.

Upon actual testing of the ball upon seat at 3psi with soap bubbles, I found all of these methods to be worsen the leakage beyond a 'flat' grind, and possibly quite harmfull when the metal is "chilled".

The best results are achieved with a flat stone to remove all of the seat to a thin edge. Only the simple stone at the far right of my attachment was almost effective, as the threads to the bore are often not in line with the seat, making them useless to accurately pilot an angled tool.

....Cotten
    Attached Files
    Last edited by T. Cotten; 09-25-2013, 03:26 PM.
    AMCA #776
    Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Thanks Cotten!
      Which of the three is the feed side check valve?
      Can I disassemble and clean it out? Bike was sitting for 30+ years, might be dirt or sludge under the ball.

Comment

Ed!

If you refer to the Service Manual, I think you will find that one is a pressure by-pass, and the other two are redundant attempts to prevent sumping.

The bottom line is that the best approach is to either ride the machine regularly, thus evacuating the cases, or to drain the oil from the tank if the machine is to sit dormant for many weeks.

If you can remove and clean the checks, and replace the balls and springs, by all means I encourage it.

Its more of a bother than putting a drip pan under it, however!

....Cotten
        AMCA #776
        Dumpster Diver's Motto: Seek,... and Ye Shall Find!

Comment

Interesting findings Cotten. I've tried it all and the drip pan still sits under the bike when it's parked for very long. As you mentioned riding is the only way I've found to keep the drip to a minimum.

Ed... here's a diagram from a WLA. I would assume it's no different than your WL. WL guys feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Cory Othen
          Membership#10953

Comment

You can put a shut off valve in the supply line from the tank, you just have to remember to open it every time you start the bike I would rather have the drip pan
            Al Cournoyer
            1942 WLA Boober
            1928 JDL Super Sport In progress
            Member #23154

Comment

Thanks for the help! Drip pan it is......
              No need to over think this

Comment

Working...
              X