VL Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Restoration

Can anyone give me some insight on noteworthy books that would help while restoring a 1934 VL? I am looking for some literature which will give me specific details needed to complete an accurate representation for that model/year. My dad and I are restoring from a complete original bike which he has owned since the mid 70s. He is busy and I know the project will move a lot faster if I can get educated and do a lot of the work without him always being present. All that needs to be done at this point is the parkerizing, cad, and finish paint. The sheet metal is in final primer. I basically am looking for information on which parts need what finish, etc. Any and all suggestions on literature is much appreciated. Thanks.

Start with "Buying, restoring and riding a VL" by the VL expert himself, Steve Slocombe. www.vlheaven.com
    Rich
    Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Rich,

Thanks. I will check out the website and make an order. Much appreciated. Will post pics when complete.

Regards,
      Evan

Comment

Yes, by all means; order the "Buying, restoring and riding a VL" book. Also you will want to order the Riders Handbook/Manual too.
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Jim, thank you. I just got off the phone with my Dad. He actually already has it! He is going to let me borrow it to get educated so I can be more of a help. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Rat at Harbor Vintage can be a big help as well.
            Bob Selph
            1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
            1940 Sport Scout
            AMCA#15215

Comment

image.jpg
              Received my loaner copy from Dad! Awesome book much thanks to Steve and everyone for help. Separated image.jpgparts for cad and park. Will post pics when bike is done. Hopefully before 2014!

Comment

As suggested by Jim, the "Rider's Hand Book" would be a great follow-up, just a small paper-back of 40 pages or so, but loaded with really good basic information especially for the VL.
                Rich
                Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Dear Evan, the 2013 edition of my VL book has a few tweaks in the finishes section, but it is the original bikes that tell the story not the books. 1934 was a 17 month production year for Harley, and it looks like they started changing some finishes that year, for instance from cad to park on the rear wheel sprocket, and from cad to black enamel on the generator strap. We also think the ammeter changed around mid-year from the bar and shield style to the white face one. Don't follow the best guesses in the book if you have what you believe is an original part that says different! Let me know of any differences you're pretty sure of, as there are not many original bikes out there.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the suggestions. Steve I appreciate your willingness to help. I got to see your signature this weekend on the inside cover of the book.... All the way from England. I will surely use you as a reference if there are any questions or discrepancies. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X