Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VL Axle Spacers?

Hello folks,
    I wanted to ask if anyone has dimensions for VL axle spacers (both front & rear)? I am working on a '35 VLD. I have the I-Beam springer with rockers, frame and both axles (11/16" dia. ea.) and a couple of sorted spacers. Are all spacers the same for '30 - '36? I believe I have rear spacer #3955-30. I have read through Steve's book and if I missed the dimensions my apologizes.

What are the dimensions for:

1) Rear Axle Spacer, Short; p/n 3955-30: (Length x Outer/End Dia. x Inner/Recessed Dia. x Bore")?
    2) Rear Axle Spacer, Long; p/n 3953-30: (Length x Outer/End Dia. x Inner/Recessed Dia. x Bore")?
    3) Front Axle Spacer, 4180-30: (Length x Outer/End Dia. x Inner/Recessed Dia. x Bore")?

Thanks,
    William Edwards, AMCA #10035

Attend the 2019 Southern National Meet at Denton Farmpark, NC, 17-18 May 2019
    http://www.amcasouthernnationalmeet.com/

Okay, I am just a little dumbfounded. Not sure why no one was able to answer this question. Did I not ask the question properly or correctly? Is this a type of question one should not ask? Do some feel providing this info might somehow make them responsible for their answer. I would not assume so - maybe some do; not sure! I would appreciate some comments, guidance or feedback so not to do this again. Thanks!

Comment

I was watching for a response as well. 81 views and nuthin yet.
      Rich
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

I just saw this post today. I have a 33 VL and have one extra rear spacer at home. I am fairly certain it has a part number tag on it. I will dig it out tonight and post the specs. This is the one that goes between the frame and the speedo drive gear on the right hand side of the bike.
        Bob Selph
        1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
        1940 Sport Scout
        AMCA#15215

Comment

Have you tried to contact Steve? He isn't here all the time. And most folks don't just happen to have VL axle sleeves lying around. Number of views means nothing, if a person can help they usually will.
          Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Part #3953-30
            1.367 wide
            1.364 one end
            1.125 other end
            .936 recessed diameter
            .786 hole diameter

front spacer on my bike
            1.386 wide
            1.377 both ends
            .942 recessed diameter
            can't check inside diameter as it is on the bike

odd VL spacer in my stash
            1.374 wide
            1.379 both ends
            .939 recessed diameter
            .693 hole diameter
            Last edited by bselph; 07-10-2013, 05:47 PM.
            Bob Selph
            1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
            1940 Sport Scout
            AMCA#15215

Comment

I do appreciate all the responses!

Bob - Thank you for the list of dimensions. I will check my spacers and hopefully they match up or are close. Does your '33 run the same size axle (front & rear)? Are they 11/16" OD?

Robbie - I thought about contacting Steve; however, reading his frequent posts (always with very insightful info!) he sounds extremely busy with some builds/meets and I didn't want to interrupt thinking the masses might have quick answers.

Thanks again & ride safe!

Comment

I assume the axles are the same diameter since you can rotate wheel assemblies front to back. Can't tell you size since they are installed on my bike. They are a different design though since they are not held on in the same way.
                Bob Selph
                1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                1940 Sport Scout
                AMCA#15215

Comment

Thanks Bob, That makes sense with the front-to-back rotation. Appreciate your note.

Comment

OK, both axles are 11/16" diameter where they go through the spacers. The front axle spacer is 1 1/4" thick and the two rear ones 1 3/8" and 3/4". The thicker rear axle spacer is removed when the 1932-36 Corbin hub drive is fitted.

Comment

Thanks for the info Steve! This helps - looks like I have the rear, short spacer. The other spacer (which I hoped was a front) measures 0.668"ID & 0.675"ID at opposites ends (definitely smaller than the 0.6875" or 11/16") and 1.910" wide (assuming not VL). Did Harley run a single rear axle spacer on the '30 to '31's (before Corbins)? Wondering if on JD's.....

Comment

Dear Bill, I've wondered the same thing, but the 1927-31 parts book still shows two rear axle spacers for the VL, with the short one having a ridge in the middle subsequently removed with no change in part number. How did they know the Corbin hub drive was coming?

Comment

Dear Steve, Thank you for the info. My Corbin knowledge is very limited. I can only speculate that the MoCo changed the speedo drives from sprocket/gear to hub driven as a result of dealer/customer issues, cost cutting measures, reliability or maybe following suit with Indian. As with today, the MoCo appears to let the market test new ideas before implementing changes themselves.

Comment

Working...
                          X