Checking timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking timing

I have a question that I hope someone can answer,I removed the inspection plug on my engine case and used my timing light to check the timing.First of all,is this a valid way to check the timing?Also if this is,I adjusted it so that the mark on the flywheel is centered when the plug fires.At this setting,the motor does not want to accelerate at all.I have to advance it about 10 degrees for the bike to run ok.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Be nice if you mention the make and model you're working on with each post. I looked up your previous posts, and it seems you may be asking about a 47 model WL H-D. We get literally everything on this forum.

If your WL is otherwise stock (with a manual, left handlebar spark advance) the vertical timing mark should be right where you report seeing it. IF on the other hand ("OTOH"), you have an automatic advance timer in that motor from a 64-or-later Servi-car,

(it's not a "distributor," it doesn't have a rotor to "distribute" anything. Indians had two-cylinder distributors, BTW)

you would have to rev up the engine to see the vertical line dance into the timing window on the left side of the crankcase, from the back of the window. If an auto-advance timer is static timed without turning the point cam to the fully-advanced position, (twisted with a pair of needle-nose pliers or something similar) it will start out "advanced," and when revved up go WAY advanced.

But if you have the normal 1947 timer in your bike, and you gapped the points correctly to about .022", you should see the line in the middle of the timing window when the spark is correctly advanced. Hope this helps!
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

The line is a a FULL advance position mark. The timer needs to be fully rotated to the full advance position to be correct. Did you have it there? And what point gap are you using?
      Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Sorry for the lack of information.My motorcycle is a 47 WL.Thanks for your advice.

Comment

the point gap is .022".and fully advanced.The engine sounds like it has "pre-ignition"when I am riding my motorcycle.When I retard the timing the knock deminishes significantly,making me believe that it is a timing issue.1947 WL H-D

Comment

I know this is an old thread but I'd like to make sure I'm getting this correct.

I have a 1942 WLA with an automatic advance distributor.

Flywheel is at TDC, fiber block on the points is lined up with line on the cam. Gap at this position is .022.

Am I missing anything? It's real hard starting.

Comment

I think I may have figured it out. I need to advance the timing lobe to full advanced, clockwise, line on cam lined up with fiber, and that's when the points start to open.

Comment

Originally posted by DCoul View Post
                I think I may have figured it out. I need to advance the timing lobe to full advanced, clockwise, line on cam lined up with fiber, and that's when the points start to open.
                Ok but the mark on the flywheels needs to be the full advance mark, not TDC.

Comment

You say the points gap is .022 when lined up with the fiber. That is absolutely WRONG! The points gap is .022 at the highest point of the cam , and is set BEFORE any timing is attempted. Check it on both lobes as well, the narrow one (front cylinder) and the wide one (rear cylinder). Then begin setting the timing. And remember that the mark on the timer is merely a reference point and not always the exact spot where correct timing occurs. When the cam is rotated to full advance the points are just at the position where they are beginning to open, they have not yet opened fully.
                  Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Back to it on my 45 with automatic advance. Still doesn't run quite right.

Pan620 "Ok but the mark on the flywheels needs to be the full advance mark, not TDC."

Front cylinder on compression stroke. Points at .22 on highest point of cam. I have timed the line on the flywheel in the center of the inspection hole. Turned timing cam clockwise to match mark on fiber on points. There is another mark on the flywheel, a dot, but it is after the line shows while turning the flywheel counterclockwise. Doesn't seem like the dot would be the full advance since it comes after the line on the flywheel.
                    Anything else I need to do?

Thanks everyone.

PS I melted a pair of Triumph pistons "back in the day" messing with the ignition. It ran better than ever, up to that point...
                    Last edited by DCoul; 01-22-2019, 02:26 PM.

Comment

DCoul,
                      The mark on the points cam is for setting the gap only. Once this is done, it takes no more part in setting the timing.
                      Rotate engine to front timing mark. Check with something soft down spark plug hole. Rotate engine forward until you feel the top of the piston stroke, rotate back until you see the timing mark. Rotate a bit more backwards the rotate forward to take up all the slack in the valve train. The engine is now ready to time.
                      Check that the narrow cam is close to the point rubbing block.
                      Rotate points cam with needle nose pliers or similar. This cam should snap back to retarded when you let it go. If it doesn't, remove and repair.
                      While holding the cam fully advanced, now rotate the "distributor" into the cam ramp until the points just open, NOT just CLOSE. I like to turn on the key and see the actual spark.
                      if you cannot get the timing correct this way, it is possible the "distribtor" is out of timing with the drive gear. remove and rotate to correct position

Comment

The cam does not snap back. That's probably a good place to start.

Comment

The cam has two small springs that are attached to two weights that swing out and rotate the cam.
                          Strip and clean/replace, then time it again.

Comment

Weights are free. I ordered points for my 1942 WLA with auto advance distributor. Checked Palmers. The points I've received twice, look like the ones that were on the bike when I got it, but on the replacement points, the hole is too small for the post. From what I understand, the base is used on 64-73 servi-cars and 65-69 OHV models. I ordered those points. My post is .20". The replacement points are just under that.
                            Do I have the wrong points? or the wrong timer. This is bike is not close to original. Just making it a rider.
                            pics are the timer and points that came with it. It runs, just not quite right.
                            Thanks AllIMG_2220.jpgIMG_2226.jpgIMG_2227.jpg

Comment

There are several different auto advance breakers that fit the 45 (UL, K, Sportster), which one is it?
                              The Linkert Book

Comment

Working...
                              X