Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tires

Can anyone recommend a good tire for a 4.00x19 drop center rim? I have Cokers on my 36 VLH and would like a better tire. Thanks

I'll look, but I think either the Coker or the Firestone military are your best bet.

https://www.universaltire.com/400-19...ans-black.html

Nothing wrong with the cokers. Firestone, I think, does the diamond pattern, but not in 4 x 19. Coker is it. And they make a good tire.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Dunlop K70 might be a nice tire for a VL. The tire is a little skiny though. They call it a 19X3.5 and measures 3.8 wide. I have 19X4.00 Cheng shings on my 31 VL. They look like a K70 tread and they handle very nice but I hate seeing that name on the sidewall. I bought them years ago and I'm not sure if they are still available. I've heard good and bad about the Coker diamond treads.
      Duda, What don't you like about the Cokers diamond treads?

Comment

I have put about 3000 miles and a set of Cokers on my 33VC with no issues at all. They still have plenty of tread left and that is now with a sidecar for about 500 miles.
        Bob Selph
        1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
        1940 Sport Scout
        AMCA#15215

Comment

Ties

Originally posted by harleytoprock View Post
          Dunlop K70 might be a nice tire for a VL. The tire is a little skiny though. They call it a 19X3.5 and measures 3.8 wide. I have 19X4.00 Cheng shings on my 31 VL. They look like a K70 tread and they handle very nice but I hate seeing that name on the sidewall. I bought them years ago and I'm not sure if they are still available. I've heard good and bad about the Coker diamond treads.
          Duda, What don't you like about the Cokers diamond treads?
          I have Cokers on my 36 VLH and have had good luck with them. I mainly ride around town and am not a fast rider and do not take long trips. I have about 4000 miles on my rear and will change it before the road run we are having in VT at the end of June. I am building a pair of drop centers for my 1924 Deluxe and have a few long trips planned so would like a modern tire.

Comment

Last time I spoke to Coker they said their tyres were not speed rated, so I'm running Avon Super Venom 100/90 V19s on my sprint bike. This is a street/race tyre that looks odd on an antique VL but does the job.

Comment

Duda,
              I had a set of Cokers on my 35 VD and couldn't get them off quick enough. I found them down right dangerous in the wet. I ride distance and usually sit on 60 mph so if you only want them for around town they may be OK. I would be very careful once you have a few miles on them. I am running Mitas 4.00 x 19 now and find that they handle much better especially in the wet but because of the tread pattern they do feel a little notchy, like an off road tyre. Good luck.
              Phill

Comment

Working...
              X