What is the ground on a VL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the ground on a VL?

Like the title says... what is the ground on a VL? Positive or Negative ground?

Jim
    Jim

AMCA #6520

It is negative.
    Bob Selph
    1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
    1940 Sport Scout
    AMCA#15215

Comment

On pre-1935 VLs the dash is grounded through the forks, but don't be shy about running an extra ground wire from the appropriate ammeter post to the control cable clip at the top right of the frame, as per the 1935 Shop Dope advice.

Comment

Thanks guys, I never knew this and always wondered. I didn't know about running the "extra" ground wire either; Good tip!

Jim
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Slocombe View Post
          On pre-1935 VLs the dash is grounded through the forks, but don't be shy about running an extra ground wire from the appropriate ammeter post to the control cable clip at the top right of the frame, as per the 1935 Shop Dope advice.
          Taking this thread just a bit further, would it mess up the functioning of the ammeter if a ground is run from the negative post of the battery?

Butch

Comment

Take it that anything grounded "to the frame" is going to the negative post of the battery, they are the same thing. The fact that ammeters were grounded to the fork, pre-1935 put at least a layer of grease & bearing balls between anything grounded to the forks and the frame/battery negative post, so to say.

Anything in the way of a ground strap between frame and fork, providing a certain and electrical connection would circumvent that. But forks move, and a dedicated ground strap in that position would fatigue with time. Mostly, there is enough contact through the parts that do connect the frame and fork to pass electricity. Headlights work, don't they?
            Gerry Lyons #607
            http://www.37ul.com/
            http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

I have occasionally also run an extra ground from the battery negative terminal to the frame. The 1935 Harley Shop Dope recommending the extra ground wire said it was because of recent reports of headlamp bulb failures. As the 1935 white ammeter is upside down to the earlier bar and shield style, I speculate Harley could have had the same problems I've had in wiring these dashes, that is reversed ground terminal.

Comment

Working...
              X