Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help Finding a Specific 1946 Flathead!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Finding a Specific 1946 Flathead!!

I am in need of help finding a specific 1946 Harley Davidson. It would have been sold by my father in 1984/1985 in the Pleasant Hill, Mo. A little small town south of Kansas City. I have the VIN number and have contacted BMVs in several surrounding states and can not locate it anywhere. We figure it is either in some one's collection/barn and is not plated or was wrecked and gone. Any assistance you can give me would be, beyond words, appreciated. It was Black, Flathead, FL with tons of chrome.

Background: When I was younger my father got laid off from his job when the GM plant in Kansas City closed. He was lucky enough to travel and find work in skilled trades around the Midwest. At the time he had this one and another Harley that he used to show before he had to start traveling. We still have pictures of my brother and I on the bikes and trophies from those shows. Unfortunately, the search to find work in the Kansas City area took a long time. He had to sell both of them to help with the family while he traveled. We know that the other motorcycle was lost in a garage fire about two years after he sold it. This one, we have been searching for years and can not find.
    My brother and I are grown and have families of our own and can't thank him enough for all he has done for us. He has sacrificed so much to help and support the family all these years. We would love to give him something special, and find this would be it! We agree this is like a needle in a hay stack, but we have to try.

Please contact me if you have any information or know where I might look to find this specific motorcycle. Even if you can provide places or ways I should search. I can provide more information upon request. I just do not feel comfortable posting it on this big of a forum. Thank You!

Needle in a haystack, but an awesome treasure hunt you are on and sounds like a really worthy quest!

I would try and send letters to all 50 state DMV's and *hope* that you find a kind soul who will take a look. But even if they can, doesn't mean they will share the info. You could also try and have your local PD do a VIN check for you in NCIC or similar (whichever database your state uses) and see if they can find anything. Good PD detective could probably chase it down if it were registered anywhere, but not sure if they have the PC to do so... ie. no actual case, it may not be allowed for them to pursue. That said, a good private investigator, with active contacts to his buddies in a police department.... might be able to help for a fee.

Not sure if there is a Flathead registry (ie club) or whether the AMCA keeps any serial numbers. I don't think they do as I don't ever remember listing my bikes or numbers for them. Some car clubs keep serial number lists... but I am guessing none of the MC clubs do that. At least not the big ones.

The bad news would be if it was one of the many bikes that got shipped overseas over the years. Flatties, Pans, Shovels... lots went to Japan, Sweden, Norway, etc. over the years. In that case, you may be outta luck.

Just some thoughts... Hope you find it and would love to see the look on your dad's face if you do!

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

To bad you didn't try this a year ago. There was one in my neighbourhood that ended up going over to the next province. I know one of the PO's so I'll contact him and see if he remembers the VIN.

Sending you a PM.

Comment

Correction to the Post, With some help from the AMCA Community (Lippy) we have identified it as a WL. Thank you Lippy for your help.
        Last edited by HDride08; 04-18-2013, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Aw c'mon, post the photos!
          Rich
          Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

There is an International VL registry that is maintained by a guy in Australia I believe.
            Bob Selph
            1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
            1940 Sport Scout
            AMCA#15215

Comment

I will bring them with me to work tomorrow and post them on so you guys can see it. It was an amazing piece!!

Comment

I just shared your posting with the local Kansas City area AMCA chapter (sftrail.org) members that have email. Perhaps someone in the club will know something about the bike. And again, a picture will greatly help. Lippy

Comment

image.jpg

Here are two I have here. I'll post more later.

Comment

The picture that you posted is of a 45 cu. in. Harley, which are WL's, not FL as you mention in your first posting. if you'll note, the rear drive chain is on the right which makes it a 45, big twin bikes have it on the left. Check your VIN number again to verify. Lippy

Comment

image.jpg

Here is my favorite. That is me on the bike.
                      Last edited by HDride08; 04-18-2013, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X