JD generator polarization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JD generator polarization

Rebuilt my generator. rewound armature and newly made field coils copied from an original pair. Generator tested well on bench tester. It is a 29 model with adjustable third brush. Installed in bike it barely puts out 6.5 volts. Is it necessary to polarize it and if so how is it done?

If it wasn't polarized, it would'nt put out anything. But just so you know, just take positive 6 volts and touch it to the gen output wire momentarily. That's assuming the gen is in the bike and the battery is grounded. What you really need to check is how many amps its putting out. You should get about 6 amps with the lights off and 1 amp with the lights on.

Comment

Thank you for the reply, so the simplest way would be to jump the battery terminal to the generator terminal at the cut out to polarize it. I know that battery condition plays a part in this. Battery was freshly changed and showed 6+ volts. I'll have to find a amp tester to confirm the output.

Comment

Yes, thats the simplest way. Also, to test charge rate, I use a very old amp guage thats very sensitive and detects as little as 1 amp. I connect it in series with the battery for the test. These JD generators put nothing out when idling. So rev it up. Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks again for your reply. Tested the output in series two ways. With and without the relay in series. The generator is an adjustable third brush version and the generator is working very well. Had to dial it way down to keep the charge rate below 5 amps at approx 2500 rpm and I see what your talking about in the 800-1000 rpm range. Not much output at those speeds!
          I want to be able to ride this at night and have both headlights wired to be on when the switch is activated. Also have dual element Mazda lamps installed so they operate with the hi/low switch. It appears there is enough output available for this to work without discharging the battery.

Comment

Working...
          X