45 cam installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 45 cam installation

When I removed the gear cover to replace the gasket,the front cam came out.
    I can't get the lifter up enough to fit the cam back in w/ the marks lined up.
    Can the cams be installed w/the lifters and top end on ?

you'll need to loosen your cylinder base nuts and lift the cylinder up. you don't need to lift the cylinder up past the piston rings. just enough to get tension off the lifter. or find somebody with some really strong fingers to push the lifter up while you try to slide the cam in.
    rob ronky #10507
    www.diamondhorsevalley.com

Comment

I discovered I had a tool for the job.Forgot I have a valve spring compresser that fit right in there and I was able to open the valve enough to get the cam back in.
      Thanks rwm for your input,I was hoping not to lifting cyl. up.Sandys 47 8-14-11 005.jpg

Comment

55tmm, The photo in your post #3 I see the generator drive gear looke to bethe OHV style and not the the sidevalve style with the oil slinger. Is this the gear you plan on using with this motor?

Comment

I guess I will check it out,I removed the cover for other reasons on a running bike built by others,thanks for the tip

Comment

Without a spring compresser you could of rotated the cam so the lobe was down then count how many teeth it was off,pull it out and turn the crank till it is indexed with where you want to install the cam. Install the cam then turn the crank to double check that all is timed right. Just don't forget to put the gear cover on when doing this so the springs don't put the cams in a bind.
            Kerry AMCA # 15911

Comment

good eye TimR-right gear on the way,thanks

Comment

Working...
              X