X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny leakage questions

I've recently acquired a 1930v.
    The tranny leaks at the output input.
    Eventually I plan to do a major tranny rebuild but not right now.
    My questions are:
    With a well worn tranny can you expect to seal up these leaks?
    Is there enough oil left in the tranny to lube it after it has been left leaning on the sidestand and it has leaked down?

Hi Hoghead. I found an interesting article on this subject which although written about earlier gearboxes does apply to V models also.

http://webspace.webring.com/people/qp/pravg/clutch.htm

I will be doing this to a 35 gearbox that I am starting in the near future. It looks like a simple good fix and I would be interested in feedback from others if anyone has tried it.

If the leak is only from the main shaft I would use the rear stand or stand the bike straight so as to keep the oil level as high as possible. I would think that you should have enough oil left. See what others think.

Comment

The bronze oil seals in the 1915-36 Harley gearbox are not perfect even when new, and can be expected to be worn out in an 80 year old gearbox. In addition the 1930 box is the last year with the split bronze bushings inside the main drive gear, and this is often the source of leaks down the main shaft. The pre-1932 countershaft gear with the narrow rollers is also usually found worn past the stage of recovering with oversize rollers. The slider gear is always worn out and should be replaced 'on principle'. You can add grease to the oil in the box as a temporary bodge, but overhauling this gearbox is well within he capability of the average owner and all parts are available. Many restorers now use sealed ball bearings at one or both ends of the mainshaft.

Comment

Wise words from Steve. He knows and should be listened to on VL's.

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
        AMCA # 12766

Comment

Thanks for the valuable info.
          Guys like you are invaluable to this club.
          Hoghead

Comment

Working...
          X