X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '47 UL rear brake set up

MAP_2318_2783.jpgMAP_2324_2787.jpgMAP_2322_2786.jpg

Hi,

I'm in the process of putting together a 47 UL. This is my first big twin. Previously i have only worked on 45's

The bike was running when i acquired it and the back brake seem to work ok but could have been better.

The bike was stripped to the frame and the crossover shaft tube was rebushed. The rear brake pads are not new but have plenty of life in them. Hard to tell about the inside of the hub. Its bound to have some wear but i'm not sure that is the cause of my problems

I put the back wheel on and inserted the brake cross over shaft and tried to connect it all up to ensure it was working ok.

I've hit a number of snags.

Photos 1 and 2 show the right and left levers hanging vertical from the shaft towards the ground

In most of the photos or actual bikes i have seen the the right hand side brake shaft lever does not sit down vertical from the end of the shaft but seems to be slanted at an angle to the rear of the bike.

To achieve this means moving the left lever so that it sits at an angle forward - otherwise the left lever hits the frame at the forward oil tank mounting.

This seems then to reduce the amount of movement available in the left lever when engaging the brake via the rear rod (hope your still with me here).

First question is how should these levers be attached to the cross over shaft - as per my pictures or in another way?

Second problem.

When i measured the rear brake rod it was only 21"- looks like it may have been broken at some stage - according to Palmer it should be 23".

The clevis is ok.

The brake operating lever also seems out of place. If i slot it on to the brake operating shaft so that it connects with the rod (allowing for the shortened rod) it also looks to hang too close to the vertical compared with other bikes i have seen where the lever sits at quite an acute angle to the rear. Also when the brake is engaged the lever seems to be pulled too far forward - although the brake works ok like this.

The alternative is to seat the brake lever further round on the shaft (see picture 3). Currently the shortened brake rod wont get close to connecting up in this position but this doesnt seem the correct starting point either.

I'd welcome some help on how to properly set up the brake? Once i know how it should be i will be able to tell if the problem is wear in the hub rather than incorrect instalation.

Thanks for your help

Martin

Martin

First off the rear brake lever is off by 90 degrees. The lever should hang downward approximately vertical. On the brake cross shaft I usually try to adjust the rods so that the leftside hole is 'balanced' in its swing arc.

What I can see it looks like a great bike.

Jerry

Comment

The rear lever is also on backwards. The bend should sweep in toward the backing plate so it rotates the cam without tweaking it ot one side. Also, make sure you put the cam in correctly so the arrow point away from the axle.

Comment

Thanks guys - thats a help. I have repositioned the brake operating lever but still cant fgure out how to get the cross over levers to sit as most everybody else has them and as the factory pictures seem to show.

When i was preparing to start this thread i posted a photo of a panhead on the 'practice posting' section.

It actually shows pretty well what i was referring to. If you look at the right side cross over shaft lever it is clearly inclined backwards which is fine but in order to set it at that angle the left hand lever would appear to be set at a forward angle otherwise it wont clear the oil tank fixing point set on the seat down tube.

That seems to decrease the amount of movement in the shaft levers and consequently the brake operation. Maybe it doesnt need any more movement in it to work effectively.

Thanks again

Martin

Comment

I'm guessing you may have the left crossover shaft lever on upside down, or it wouldn't be anywhere near the oil tank mount. Both levers point down at the same angle, and the left side serves as a return stop for the entire rear brake by hitting against the transmission plate. The brake pedal assemble is adjusted to the correct location with this lever against the stop.

Comment

Thanks - thats what i needed.

I no doubt confused the issue by refering to the oil tank mounting - its not of course - but where the transmission plate mounts as you rightly point out.

If the starting point is with the left brake lever set against that stop then i'm heading in the right direction!

Thanks again.

Martin

Comment

Working...
            X