Asking for help on a Servi-Car project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking for help on a Servi-Car project

I bought a Servi-Car start about 12 years ago, and have acquired quite a few parts over the years. Life has now allowed me to start to assemble and work on this project, but I do need some parts and knowledge to help me out.

The engine, rear sheet metal and box are '38. The frame is '41-'47, the trans is a 3 bolt, rear end is mechanical so '37-'50? Front fork is non I-beam but 7/8 stem and large holes in rear leg for BT brakes. I am going to stay with these year parts for several reasons, it is what I already have, braking will be better, trans more sturdier and more parts available. I am in hopes of having a nice rideable servi-car, not a judgeable correct-but late '30-'40's period, something I can comfortably ride and enjoy in these 'modern' times.

I am starting this thread in hopes for advice, knowledge and parts. I would really appreciate any help that is flowed my way.

This is where I need help now. On my frame tie bar (7310-32 new 47808-32 ), the two straps (7317-32 new 47813-32) are not the same as in my parts book. As you see the one is longer, is this correct, is it a muffler support bracket? I also need the frame bushing (7314-41 new 47811-41) for the tie bar. Does anyone have one for sale of trade, or could I borrow one to reproduce myself? If not, maybe an accurate drawing with the dimensions so I could make one. I also need the rear foot board support rod (2929-32 new 50511-32), I have a NOS (from the AMF years) 50511-51 for trade, or if someone has one for sale or one I could copy or dimensions. I realize this is available aftermarket but I would prefer OEM if available.

That is it for now, but I plan to add on to here as I progress and again any help is greatly appreciated. Bob AMCA #6738
    Last edited by BigLakeBob; 01-02-2013, 08:07 PM.
    Bob Rice #6738

servi car

call me 1 716 934 3137 i might have servi parts you need

Comment

Talk to Richard Duda on this site, too.

He did a really top Servi. Knows a lot about the early ones.

Cheers,

Sirhr

Comment

Bob,

The long strap is for attatching to the kick starter extension used on the servi-cars. Here is a picture of my old '58 to show you how it shoud be.
        Attached Files
        Bruce Keith
        AMCA #1467

Comment

Originally posted by sirhrmechanic View Post
          Talk to Richard Duda on this site, too.

He did a really top Servi. Knows a lot about the early ones.

Cheers,

Sirhr
          Thanks, I'll see if he chimes in otherwise I will contact him.

Originally posted by diesel55 View Post
          call me 1 716 934 3137 i might have servi parts you need
          Thanks, I'll call you this weekend. Bob
          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Originally posted by BEK View Post
            Bob,

The long strap is for attatching to the kick starter extension used on the servi-cars. Here is a picture of my old '58 to show you how it shoud be.
            Thanks for posting the picture. Bob
            Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Bob,
              If your box and fenders are early and the box support frame is late, the box won't fit on the long box frame..You need the short one.
              Len.
              P.s. if you need reference pics let me know. I documented the whole assembly of my 41.
              Last edited by len dowe; 01-12-2013, 09:41 AM.
              AMCA #765

Comment

critical to look at the rear end because of chain alignment .'37 -40 are for 2 bolt trans '41-50 is for 3 bolt trans..you probably have the '41 and later rear end .Differential housing is wider '37-40.Tall box or short in '38,what do you have?Lastly the tanks/shifter have to be '47 and later or the gate will have the wrong throw for the later trans
                Last edited by duffeycycles; 01-12-2013, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLakeBob View Post
                  I bought a Servi-Car start about 12 years ago, and have acquired quite a few parts over the years. Life has now allowed me to start to assemble and work on this project, but I do need some parts and knowledge to help me out.

The engine, rear sheet metal and box are '38. The frame is '41-'47, the trans is a 3 bolt, rear end is mechanical so '37-'50? Front fork is non I-beam but 7/8 stem and large holes in rear leg for BT brakes. I am going to stay with these year parts for several reasons, it is what I already have, braking will be better, trans more sturdier and more parts available. I am in hopes of having a nice rideable servi-car, not a judgeable correct-but late '30-'40's period, something I can comfortably ride and enjoy in these 'modern' times.

I am starting this thread in hopes for advice, knowledge and parts. I would really appreciate any help that is flowed my way.

This is where I need help now. [ATTACH=CONFIG]10240[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]10241[/ATTACH] On my frame tie bar (7310-32 new 47808-32 ), the two straps (7317-32 new 47813-32) are not the same as in my parts book. As you see the one is longer, is this correct, is it a muffler support bracket? I also need the frame bushing (7314-41 new 47811-41) for the tie bar. Does anyone have one for sale of trade, or could I borrow one to reproduce myself? If not, maybe an accurate drawing with the dimensions so I could make one. I also need the rear foot board support rod (2929-32 new 50511-32), I have a NOS (from the AMF years) 50511-51 for trade, or if someone has one for sale or one I could copy or dimensions. I realize this is available aftermarket but I would prefer OEM if available.

That is it for now, but I plan to add on to here as I progress and again any help is greatly appreciated. Bob AMCA #6738
                  Bob,
                  duffycycles is right.
                  Mine is a 41G with a 46 rear end with the short small 39-40 box and fenders. I went that direction as i didn't like the look of the big box and the early box will only fit the early fenders with the short support frame as mentioned before and if you go that route, it will fit(though the rear box support brackets are different length's as well as the rear bumper brackets). Mine has a 41 tranny and 41-6 right hand shift so my throw on the linkage is right as the shift rod is shorter than a normal WL because it's RH shift. Rh shift is further back on the tanks than the LH shift(learned that the hard way). Also your front end is correct as to the 7/8" stem accepting the BT rockers and brakes (Servi-car only) although there are different lengths in damper rods!! 41 was the last yr of the check strap and trying to find the mounts is nearly impossible. I have them but i have been asking for yrs for mounting reference pictures to no avail. So i went with the shock system because if you don't do something your box will bounce something fierce. Lots to consider on servi-car's, they are the hardest to build and not worth the value in the end compared to the time and money spent.
                  "Old Dude" has the hardware you need but coming up with the part # as i mentioned in my pm is also hard as i had Bart perplexed as well.
                  On the tranny support strap. I must of lucked out as mine fit perfectly and i'm not familiar with that..
                  The muffler support comes off the back of the battery box with it's own bracket mounted to the tie rod.
                  Hagel Cambell is the leading expert on servi-cars based out of N.C. Dale Walksler bought a mint restored police 54 from him yrs back and Hagel knows servi-cars..
                  Len. #765
                  P.s. i have a nice battery box if you need one. I was going to put it on fleabay or take it to fremont. also i think that the 38 motor shouldn't be a problem in useing the later transmission and clutch and tanks.
                  Last edited by len dowe; 01-12-2013, 07:16 PM. Reason: Spelling and p.s.
                  AMCA #765

Comment

Originally posted by duffeycycles View Post
                    critical to look at the rear end because of chain alignment .'37 -40 are for 2 bolt trans '41-50 is for 3 bolt trans..you probably have the '41 and later rear end .Differential housing is wider '37-40.Tall box or short in '38,what do you have?Lastly the tanks/shifter have to be '47 and later or the gate will have the wrong throw for the later trans
                    Roger, rear end has casting # 128-40-HD date tag 'H5'.

I'm confused with the tank shifter comment. I wanted to use '38 tanks with the correct length gate for a 41-46 shifter drum. Why '47 and later? That would be an entirely different (newer style)tank and gate set-up and would also mean using the later shift drum, is that what you are saying, or did you mean '37 and later?
                    Thanks, Bob AMCA#6738
                    Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Bob,
                      I agree with duffycycles on the differentional. I believe your 38 tanks would work with a 41-6 3 bolt transmission with correct length gate ...Maybe Robbie will give some feedback on this.
                      Len.
                      AMCA #765

Comment

that combo will work with the '41- 46 drum.I've seen too many that did not consider the differences before they got really frustrated and gave up! If your trans has the '47 and later drum you will have to do some changes to the shift fork positions to change to '41-46 drum.Always something.

Comment

I have the correct small box for '38, I previously had a large box sub frame(2nd picture). At a meet earlier this year I purchased a small box sub frame(kinda) the other one(1st pic chrome). My intentions were to remove the added middle supports, strip the chrome, paint and use. After closer inspection I see that behind the rear added support this frame was altered. I am looking for the correct size for the front to back length for a small box sub frame. I do not know if this was cut down from a large box and is correct or just totally fabricated to a bogus length for whatever this was used for in the past.

I also see that the two brackets for the bumper have been removed.

Also, in comparison, the leaf spring bracket where the U bolt goes through is slotted where the original large box frame is solid. The leaf springs on the chrome one is 1 1/2" where my original is 1 1/4 which is what I believe I need.

So, I'm trying to justify whether it is worth the changes needed to make this what I need or just look for another.

The length dimension would help me make this decision if someone could supply it to me.

Thanks, Bob
                          Bob Rice #6738

Comment

Working...
                          X