No announcement yet.

Antique saddlebags original for 45 flathead (1947) - experts feedback welcome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antique saddlebags original for 45 flathead (1947) - experts feedback welcome

Hello,
    a friend just has just offered me pair of antique saddlebags for my 45.
    I am not sure, if they were original for my 45 flathead (1947) and sincerely appreciated any experts feedback.
    The picture showes one bag attached to the bike loosely and without the half moon mounting brackets.
    Although they look quite neat on the bike, it appears that they are a little to big and might be for big twinns ?
    Further there seems to be a collision with the rear bars ? (should it be just squeezed in or would they have to be removed ?)

Thanks and kind regards from Germany

Oliver
    Attached Files
    oliver

Oliver,
    Those bags are not original to any vintage H-D. They may be late style bags from something like a Heritage model, but they are not at all like the original bags. Stock '47 bags are the lock-tite style and are very much different than those.
    Robbie
    Ad for bags, January 1947
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

If you want a set and don't mind accurate reproductions, then get in touch with Mike Paquette at Worsham-Castle. Just Google it and it should come up. They are used by many AMCA members and will pass muster if you do the judging thing. Absolutely the best option if you can't find originals.

Tom(Rollo) Hardy
      AMCA #12766

Comment

I believe 45 models have to delete the rear safety guard to use any but the smaller "Streamliner" bags.
        VPH-D

Comment

Thanks everybody for the excellent and professional input!

Kind Regards and a good start into 2013.

Oliver
          oliver

Comment

Some guy in Poland makes the Lock-Tite bags.. He list them on ebay all the time.
            These just went off
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/190784430286...84.m1438.l2649
            AMCA #765

Comment

Working...
            X