No announcement yet.

35 VLD Oil Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it is relativly clean I use in my transmissions. With a bunch of antique bikes I always have something that could use a little make up oil. I can hear the growns and see the eyes rolling now!!

Tom (Rollo) Hardy
    AMCA #12766

Comment

Hello fellow VL enthusiasts! Might anyone have advice for my 1933 VLD that is having issues with "breathing" relevant to the oil circulation. Hard to believe, but little if ANY oil is getting to the primary chain, preferring to head back into the crankcases and wet sump within about 60 miles. I have the correct 1933 only gearcase cover and 1933 only oil pump with the primary oil adjuster - all good there. I also have a 1934 VL that breathes perfectly, actually, I have the primary oil adjusting screw totally in, and the primary is fed its oil simply by the motor breathing. So, if anyone out there has advise for a 1933 that is sending its chain oil back into the motor, I welcome and very much appreciate any advise you may have. Many thanks, Tony Blain AMCA Member 7543.

Comment

Dear All, I've given Tony a few ideas, but more will be appreciated.

And I've started putting used VL oil in my chain saw, and it's worked fine so far.

Comment

Many thanks Steve. Yes it is a weird one, fancy a VLD not getting oil to the primary...... My 1934 VL does just fine and if I had a chainsaw, I would have plenty of oil for that also! I guess the issue for my 1933 VLD is that it has that 1 year only oil pump and i year only gear case cover. The gear case cover has the breathing holes and accepts the wave washer and brass ring for breathing against the inlet cam.
          My brass ring seems worn and isn't kissing the cam properly, so it may be that. In thinking it through, the oil pump is working AOK ( pulled it apart and bench tested more than once....), and is pumping well. The motor is getting MORE than enough oil, since none is being directed to the breather tube and therefore the primary chain. So, with Steve's help, I will replace these and pay special attention to the contact of the brass ring. lets see what happens. Appreciate any ideas folks, thank you. Tony Blain.

Comment

Steve, can you recommend a mechanic in the US to help me with this same oiling issue in my 33.
            Bob Selph
            1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
            1940 Sport Scout
            AMCA#15215

Comment

Hi Bob, glad I am not the only one.I will of course advise my progress as I go. I am determined to find out what is going on. Like I said, I suspect it could be the brass washer assembly - it is there for a reason, so fingers crossed Bob. Regards, Tony

Comment

1933 VLD Primary Oiling

Originally posted by Tony Blain View Post
                Hi Bob, glad I am not the only one.I will of course advise my progress as I go. I am determined to find out what is going on. Like I said, I suspect it could be the brass washer assembly - it is there for a reason, so fingers crossed Bob. Regards, Tony
                Hello to fellow VL enthusiasts following this 1933 VLD primary oiling story. Well to start, the brass washer assembly in the gear case cover Steve Slocombe kindly confirms, is to lubricate the #2 cam (the rear inlet) shaft and should not be relied upon for engine breathing. What I have discovered, is the #2 cam I have been using in my 1933 VLD looks to be correct, HOWEVER, since I am fortunate to have a number of VL parts in my stash, when I looked through other cams in the warehouse, I noted some are hollow. For 1933 this would make sense, to allow breathing to the breather pocket. I have fitted this cam and so far so good. I have only done 10 - 20 miles, but I can hear the puffing and see the oil beginning to disperse from the primary cover, marking my spot. I reckon we have nailed it, however will report back when I have done a hundred or two miles. Bob, an easy check for your 1933 VL is to take off your breather pocket cover ( 3 screws and disconnect the oil pump cable ), and with some coarse wire, see if the wire will go up through the cam shaft. The cam I have just put in, is hollow right through. In the meantime I will report back once I have done a few miles with confirmation of the fix. Thanks for the advise and interest everyone, trust my experiences may be helpful to those that have experienced the same issue as I. Tony Blain AMCA 7543.

Comment

Thanks Tony. I will do your check. But mine has been oiling fine for about 4000 miles and has only just started the over oiling issue. After a 150 mile ride I have oil completely covering the left side of the rear wheel, swingarm, etc and when I stop it will have a pie plate size circle of oil on the ground.
                  Bob Selph
                  1933VC/1934LT Sidecar
                  1940 Sport Scout
                  AMCA#15215

Comment

Sounds like a wet sump, check your motor oil level. I use a disposable coffee cup, s/be about 2/3 full . Any more and you are breathing the excess onto the primary and therefore your rear wheel as it dumps it out as you are riding.My remedy for my 1934 is to pull back on the control coil to the oil pump a little at a time and test my coffee cup theory at my destination, often about 50 to 70 mile sectors.Sometimes also, if the motorcycle has been left for a few weeks, the oil can drip down from the oil tank, so you have commenced your ride, already with an overfull sump.Trust this makes sense Bob, Tony.

Comment

Over oiling? I had the same thing happen one time [whole side of the bike covered with oil] check valve fell off the crankcase.

Comment

Hello fellow VL Enthusiasts. To finish up on the "breathing" of my 1933 VLD, I am happy to confirm it was the #2 (rear inlet) cam. The cam I had in this motorcycle had a SOLID shaft, the genuine used replacement I have fitted, has a HOLLOW shaft. Makes sense, the crankcase can now breath into the breathing pocket and do its job.I wanted to let you know and thank you for your suggestions. I trust what I have learnt might be of assistance to those of you lucky enough to have a 1933 VL model.
                        Best wishes, Tony Blain.

Comment

Working...
                        X