37 ULH Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 37 ULH Question

Good evening Gentleman, once again I need a little guidance. It has to do with this 37 ULH project I’m doing. There are so many changes that year. The tranny and others away refer to early. What is early? I got a vin of 37ULH417X. Does this rate as early or mid production? Do I need a four bolt tranny or a five etc. This is a nuff to drive ya nuts. Bob L
    AMCA #3149
    http://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany.com

Numbering began at 1000 or 1001 in '37, Robert. My 37 UL is 52xx, and it had an original 5-bolt trans case. Don't worry about "early" with yours. Does it still have its '37 trans gears in the box? The trans was almost completely redesigned in 1939 with many of the gear updates that lasted through 1979; stone reliable.
    Gerry Lyons #607
    http://www.37ul.com/
    http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Luland View Post
      Good evening Gentleman, once again I need a little guidance. It has to do with this 37 ULH project I’m doing. There are so many changes that year. The tranny and others away refer to early. What is early? I got a vin of 37ULH417X. Does this rate as early or mid production? Do I need a four bolt tranny or a five etc. This is a nuff to drive ya nuts. Bob L
      Bob. At the start of this year I was emailing Chris Haynes about some 1937 pictures he had, so that I could verify some small parts and the correct finishes for those parts, and during the discussions he quoted the number of U models made for 1937.
      My 37 EL is 303X which is about the end of production for EL,s but I remember being amazed at how many U models Chris said were produced.
      I didnt write the number down, because I dont have a U model, but from memory, I think yours might be about 1/4 way through the U model production. Maybe Chris can quote the number again.

The four bolt tranny was only used on the very early 37,s.
      Regards Steve
      Steve Little
      Upper Yarra Valley. Victoria.
      Australia.
      AMCA member 1950

Comment

How's it going Steve? I went searching in this junk yard I call an office after reading your post and found Rick Conner's data book. According to this publication. 1937 big twin production is as follows.
        EL=2289 units
        ES=189
        U=504
        US=1193
        UL=1099
        ULH=579
        UH=108
        UHS=132
        UMG=141
        Total BT production 6234 units.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the production year ended somewhere around the end of August, beginning of September do to the fact that every time we go to Jefferson. We can't take the factory tour because there switching over to new production. With my vin being in the 4200 range and figuring the production year started October 1. My unit should have been produced somewhere around June or July. Anything but early. Bob L
        AMCA #3149

Comment

Bob,
          My original 37 ULH has a 5 bolt tranny and serial # 193X. Hope this helps.
          Steve
          Steve

Comment

Hi Gerry, Bob, and Steve: My 37ULH is also serial # 193X, must be "same-day" bikes Steve! Could you guys help answer a silly question please? If the Data Book indicates only 579 ULH's were built in '37, and if the numbers started at or close to "1000", how did we get to "193X"? Wouldn't the max serial for a 37 ULH have been something like "37ULH1579" or something like that? And does the moco or a registry somewhere have any build records for our bikes? Just curious guys, Thanks! Jay

Comment

Jay, all the BT were lumped together. What ever came down the line got the next vin number. According to Mr. Haynes, AMF used those build records to line dumpsters. Bob L
              AMCA #3149

Comment

Bob, good morning and thank you so much for setting me straight on this topic! It all makes sense now, except for AMF deep-sixing all of the build records! Is it possible that the Data Book is still in publication or available? Jay

Comment

Amazon Baby! Amazon! I love it. Everytime one of these books comes up on Fleese-Bay, people are falling all over them selves bidding crazy money. Do not buy books on E-Bay! Bob L
                  AMCA #3149

Comment

Bob, thanks again for the info! I'll jump over to Amazon right now. Will also look to see if Palmer's bible (maybe a Reprint?) is available on Amazon. Have bid on Palmer's book on Fleece-Bay a few times and was always outbid. Have been successful thus far with my ULH project using my 36-48 BT Parts Catalog and other sources, but still would like to have the Data Book and Palmer's in my shop library someday. Jay

Comment

More 37 ULH Help Needed

Hi Guys,

Looking to find the correct Rear Chain for the 37ULH. Parts Catalog calls out a p/n 2002-15 Rear Chain, 3/8" x "5/8" (63-3/4") 1935-1948. Would this be a 108-link chain? Would like to use a Diamond brand.

Also, would anyone out there know where I could get the 3 fender brace clips that spot-weld underneath the front and rear fenders?

Thanks for the help!!

Jay

Comment

Some ones making them. I remember a thread here about a year or so. Try the search thingy or google the part number Bob L
                        AMCA #3149

Comment

Thanks Bob! Jay

Comment

It's 102 links.That part number runs up to and through the Shovel era as 40028-15C (Diamond),and 40029-15C (Duckworth).

5/8 x 3/8 = 0.625 x 0.375

63.75/ 0.625 = 102

Comment

Also, would anyone out there know where I could get the 3 fender brace clips that spot-weld underneath the front and rear fenders?
                              The fender butterflies?
                              Check with Larry Medwig at Replicant metals. I believe he makes them.
                              Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

Working...
                              X