Tappet guides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tappet guides

On my 45 UL I have the threaded tappet guides and I think the 37,38 screw down valve covers because I think that was the thing to do in the early days. Everything I read about them in early publications kinda leans toward everyone thinking the older style was more reliable and easier to install . Now I want it back in original shape . When you use the correct spring and clip valve covers do they attach to the same tappet guide . People who know nothing about it assure me that use different ones but I prefer to hear from some one whose used both or at least is sure . Let me know please

The UL tappet guides changed in '39 for the new covers. They are unthreaded and have a machined lip that holds the lower cork where the tube seats. All you need is a parts book to get it right, who cares what people tell you!
    Robbie
    Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I've got parts manual but Illustration is vague as far as tappet guides are concerned . Thanks for correct info

Comment

Beware of depending on parts book illustrations for final determination. When in doubt you can do a little detective work and look at the associated parts. Sometimes the part numbers will give you the answer you need. As in this case, seeing that all the valve cover parts changed for '39 you have a pretty good chance that the -39 tappet guide is a changed part as well as all the -39 cover parts!
        Robbie
        Robbie Knight Amca #2736

Comment

I have a '37 UL and 41 U I've owned for decades apart just now on my bench. The tappet guides ARE different, as described by Rub. Be aware while you're hunting parts that the 37 & 38 3-piece screw-together valve covers are the same as those used on the 30-36 VLs except for the tops. Because the U cylinders are taller, the top, PN 173-30C was replaced in 1937 with the taller PN 173-37. You'll see the later top "pencilled in" on p.8 of the 1941 Spare Parts catalog, for instance.
          Gerry Lyons #607
          http://www.37ul.com/
          http://flatheadownersgroup.com/

Comment

Dear Sidehacker, I've got some of the used tappet guides you need, and happy to trade them for the VL/45 threaded ones.

Comment

Working...
            X