Information Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Information Needed

Good day, all. I'm about to become the caretaker of a fine 35 VLD, nicely restored and ready to ride with a little carb cleaning. I have Steve Slocombe's great text on restoration, but my question is this: where does one purchase the reference books listed at the back of Steve's manual? I especially need information on just the routine aspects of care and use of the V series. I think something akin to an owners manual would be best. Maybe the Riders Manual 1930-1936? I would appreciate any website info and critique as to which reference material you V model owners have found most useful. Thanking you in advance for any information.

Butch

HI Butch, I own 2 VL's and pretty much only use Steve's Book. I probably should buy his newest book, but mine has "worked" since 1999. Anyway, I do recommend buying the "Riders Manual" as that gives the basic riders info you need. I also recommend you buying the 1939 Spareparts book. Both the Riders manual and Parts manual are reprinted now. VL's are pretty easy to work on too. Steve's BIG book could fill in the rest that you would need to know. The other books are "fun" to own and read. Whatever you do... ride it and just have fun! I do believe that Steve sells BOTH of these books.

Last edited by Jim; 09-11-2012, 01:44 PM. Reason: added more info
    Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

This one is accessable on line in the AMCA library. It's specifically for VL's, only 40 pages but has a surprising amount of useful information. Click Harley Davidson, scroll to 1935.
      90--1935%20Harley%20Davidson%20Riders%20Handbook%2045%20Twin%20128-1.jpg
      Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

No... that isn't it. That booklet is for the 45 Twin. Not the Big Twin. However, the cover does look similar.
        Jim

AMCA #6520

Comment

Jim's right, wrong book.
          The one I have is from Antique Cycle Supply-out of business.
          Harbor Vintage might have it: Book VL-4 "1930-1936 riders hand book 74 & 80" twins. $10.
          Not absolutely positive that's the right book.
          Rich Inmate #7084

Comment

Although it isn't currently listed, Tom at Replicant Metals now has the Riders Handbook for 1935 to 1936 VL's. Give Tom a call. He also has HD Spare Parts manuals that cover the VL models. Lippy

32V
            33VLE
            35VLD

Comment

I've got the Owners Handbooks if you have trouble finding them in the US, plus the picture of the early oil pump if you have a pre-1934 bike. Harley publication 99407-93 reproduces all the Owners Handbooks and specification sheets 1930-49. Harley publication 99410-93 reproduces Shop Dopes 1917-49. The reprinted 1930-40 parts book is also good, and not cluttered with pocket valve stuff like the 1926-39 version.

Comment

Working...
              X